Coast to Coast - Whitehaven to Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks for the tips. All of which have been taken on board. Will stop at the cafe as be a nice reward for getting top of the hill as it sounds a bit of a bi*ch.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tips. All of which have been taken on board. Will stop at the cafe as be a nice reward for getting top of the hill as it sounds a bit of a bi*ch.

Worth calling in to the cafe, if only because there's nowhere I can think of to get a hot drink from then until you reach Consett.

However, my last visit was not very enjoyable.

The coffee came in a tiny cup, so I asked for another one.

I can't recall the exact prices, but I think I ended up paying £4+ for about 400ml of very average coffee.

The place was plastered with signs about the toilets being only for customers unless you paid £3.50.

Fair enough, but is it really such a problem?

This is the top of Weardale, a bloke could stand outside and pee in a 360 degree circle and no one would see him.

I am concerned you don't die of thirst or hunger, so for info there is a Tesco and adjacent Costa Coffee on the outskirts of Consett.

You will see it to your left as you crest a rise and pass an astronomy-themed statue.

As you are going to Newcastle, not Sunderland, your route may take you directly past the supermarket.

It is a new development so the area is still shown as a field on the likes of Google Earth.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks pale rider. Seems that cafe isn't very welcoming as it does always annoy me to an extent when they say the toilets are for customers. Shame as sounded like it was a nice quaint little cafe to reward yourself after the climb. I'll pop in and take a rekkie before ordering.

Thanks for the tips on other places to drink. That will be an issue making sure out water bottles are full.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Worth a look into the cafe - the food that came out looked OK and if you buy a bottle of cold drink you will know how much you are getting.

There will be other cyclists in, so it's a chance to have a bit of crack about your respective adventures.

The stretch from Parkhead to Consett is downhill nearly all the way, it won't take you long even with a few miles in your legs.

theloafer

Legendary Member
The best reason for the OP to do Crawleyside is that the Bolts Wall climb from Rookhope will be closed in the Grouse shooting season (starts Aug 12th).
Which ever way you go up be sure to call into the caff at Parkhead - it's fab.

or you could go the other way :thumbsup: the old c2c route http://cycle.travel/map/journey/8334 we stayed at the Parkhead in 2012 our third night they could not do enough for use ... but it was going up for sale ..:sad: I did not think crawleyside was that bad :whistle:.. but then I like hill`s :laugh:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
or you could go the other way :thumbsup: the old c2c route http://cycle.travel/map/journey/8334 we stayed at the Parkhead in 2012 our third night they could not do enough for use ... but it was going up for sale ..:sad: I did not think crawleyside was that bad :whistle:.. but then I like hill`s :laugh:
Aye it's still up for sale but also still going strong. They're lovely people. Also agree that Crawleyside isn't that bad; steep through the bends near the bottom but once you're over the cattle grid it's just a steady plod. Even Bolts Wall can be done on a road bike if it's dry.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
This is the route that I have planned, any suggestions. Seems there is another cycle route higher up and doesn't take you through Keswick but up to Cockermouth - what is the better route?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

So far we are staying at a B&B night before, then booked up on the first night at the Hostel that was recommended - http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/alston#

Doing the trip over 2 days.

Last edited:

cnb

Veteran
Hownsgill farm cafe.. a little further east than Parkhead on the C2C is a good cafe (shut tuesdays)..Also has bunkhouse accom which looks really nice on the inter web thingy...I can vouch for the cafe,Good grub at reasonable prices...

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
It will be the Tuesday we pass through Parkhead as we stop at Alston on the Monday night - bit of a gutter as everyone is rating that cafe.

I am trying to get hold of the sustrans sea to sea map - but can only find it online and none of the places will deliver before Saturday. Anyone know where I can get this local to Northumberland/Newcastle?

Link to the map I wish to purchase http://www.sustrans.org.uk/shop/route-maps-guides/ultimate-c2c-pack

jack smith

Veteran
Whenever ive gone the cafe has been closed, honestly wait u til you get to consett its all downhil from the cafe to tesco, theres a mcdonalds, kfc costa subway morrisons and various chippies its not a big place all the shops are next to eachother

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Cheers, it is good to know if the cafe is not open. The cyclist special they do at Parkhead has me intrigued enough to pop my head in, if not then I will continue to consett as you advise.

cnb

Veteran
The cafe at hownsgill is not the Parkhead cafe..Its about seven miles to the east of it about 200yds off the C2C just past the Hownsgill viaduct.. I rode up there from Sunderland today its in a good location and a great place to sit outside on a nice day and enjoy the views..Enjoy your ride...

Top Bottom