Coaster Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
[apologies in advance if creating a new thread for each of these questions is a bit spammy - thought it would be better organised, and potentially of use for others who may have similar queries if I kept each one in it's own thread rather than just having one thread full of questions]

I'm in the early stages of assembling my next bike - a three speed Sturmey Archer hub based 'cross' bike which will take me to work on the varied roads and towpath surfaces between Nottingham and Derby each day, as well as for going on casual rides with friends. I've decided to settle on a 3-speed as it's fairly flat but with the odd hill making a single speed not quite ideal, and also because of the reduced maintanance and stationary shifting of the hub, and the aesthetics of a derailleur-less setup.

I'm considering going for a coaster brake equipped hub, mostly as it'll be nice to have less cables and that heading backwards, also because of a perceived improved braking power at the back rather than using rim brakes, and also that it may be fun to do a bit of skidding.

Having said that, I briefly borrowed a coaster-equipped bike off the owner of the LBS helping me with this project and didn't really get on with it - although this was mostly due to the coaster brake at the back being the ONLY brake on the bike! That combined with the bike being far too small for me and the coaster hub being an ageing Torpedo rather than a modern SA. Managed to scuff my brand new Mavic shoes trying to stop on a downhill and almost went into the back of a car!

So question is are many of you experienced with coaster brakes? What is the stopping power of a modern SA coaster compared to regular rim brakes, and is the inability to spin backwards a major hinderance to convenient riding? Anything else I should be thinking about?

mark barker

Once you get used to coaster brakes they're fine, although going back to a "normal" set up will scare the life out of you afterwards as you forget to brake! My only issue with coaster brakes is control, but fitting a front brake as well will solve this and make the experience far better.

jimboalee

Think about a coaster brake and its 'reaction arm'. Does the chainstay have the metalwork? You might have to use a clip with bolts. Messy when taking the wheel out.

I have a Moulton Mini with a Sachs Torpedo. They're OK but not on steep downhills.

Sachs Torpedo has the same sprocket pattern as Sturmey. Sram are the same pattern too.

I would be tempted to go for a 5 spd Sturmey with Drum brake & a front drum with dynohub.

As per the Pashley Roadster 26.

Top Bottom