cocked up- help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Er, I think you need to give some specific details rather than "I've fucked up, please help". Would you go to the doctor and say "I'm ill, write me a prescription"?

JamesAC

Where are the images now?
Are they still on your pc?
Did you delete them using Explorer or equivalent - if so, they're still in the waste bin.
What happens when you try to look at the photos on the disk?

Give us a bit more info about what you did

Good luck!!!

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I probable should elaborate a tad. I used vista's CD burning programme and cut and paste the pictures into the burning window, so the pics and no longer on the desktop or the (accessible) hard drive, and, as it has turned out, not on the CD either. Which is a bit wierd. Is there any way I can retrieve them?

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
That sounds like the one i'm after! does it exist?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Restore won't return deleted files - it just puts the registry and installed programs to a previous state.

Try a file rescue program - some are free. it may be able to find them on the drive, or at least most of them. They aren't really deleted, just get wiped off the tables, and then eventually get overwritten by new files.

You should be able to get most of the pics back.

I have an idea! When you drag and drop into CD drive it should just make a copy and leave the images on the hard disk. Is it possible that as you dragged them you accidentally let go of the mouse early or in the wrong place and so all you have done is move them somewhere else on the PC's hard drive?

It is easy to do and much better than loosing the data!

Good luck!

red_tom

Even when you delete a file, the system only marks the area where the data is as deleted, it doesn't actually remove the data. You only truly loose the data if the same physical space is used again on the disk.

I'd start of searching for the photos as mentioned above. If you can't find them then try Testdisk/photorec. . It's totally free. stephec has some sucess with it when his USB drive was dying

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've used Photorec in the past too - it's very good. (Although on flash memory SanDisk's recovery tool is the dog's danglies).

I'd strongly suggest booting into something like Knoppix (so you can mount the drive read only) and recovering to another hard drive if at all possible.

Top Bottom