Cold Calling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yet another call just now. 3 or 4 a day not unusual, and we are registered with the TPS. I find I am getting increasingly rude and abrupt in my response. Don't they realise they are alienating people by the million? Is there anyone left who responds positively?

ohnovino

Large Member
Don't get them at home since we signed up to TPS (the odd few still come through, but very rarely), but I get loads in work. This morning I got one I could barely understand, thanks to his strong Indian accent and the background noise of a call centre - how on earth do callers like that expect to ever make a sale?

byegad

Legendary Member
I play games with them For the 'software service centres' I either ask them if it's the main frame, the server or one of the laptops, (They usually put the phone down at that point.) or I say, I'm not in charge of the computers you need to speak to Chief Inspector Gordon Smith who is in charge of that department. Again the phone goes down, usually before I get past Chief Inspector.

byegad

Legendary Member
Let's not forget that most of the time these callers are still human beings trying to make their way in the world, by all means make them laugh or hang up on them, but why waste your energy being mean to them?

That would be fine except some of them are confidence tricksters. Software calls aim to a) Take some money off you, so getting details of your credit or debit card and b) Gain access to your computer, 'nuff sed!'

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
We've been with TPS and I've recently been back to make sure we are still registered!! Getting quite a few and when I google the numbers I tend to find this.
Most are scams or nuisance callers
They ignore TPS
They aren't UK based (I've had a few that the caller display brought up as only 5 digits)
Seems they're foreign based and a lot come into the UK through companies (Bristol comes up a lot!) via the internet.
I usually just 'click/off' straight away. I have been abrupt. I reckon I may yet try the 'listen to my telly' ploy^_^

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Let's not forget that most of the time these callers are still human beings trying to make their way in the world, by all means make them laugh or hang up on them, but why waste your energy being mean to them?
Because many of the calls are repeats from the same companies/scams - haven't you had one from the 'Microsoft' Tech dept telling you your computer has a virus? - and I am fed up with them wasting my time. I do not want unsolicited calls - that is why I am registered with TPS.

lordloveaduck

Not calls but i did get plenty of texts from laywers telling me that they could claim compensation for me after the recent accident i was in.
This happend a week after i helped out at a RTA, the only person i gave my number to was a police man who took my details.:dry:

Not doing that again, 6 texts a week for almost four months is takeing the mick.

buddha

Veteran
For the land line (which is there for emergencies) I have a cheapo answerphone. I've turned the ring-tone down to zero. If it's important they'll leave a message - and the phone beeps loudly when they do - and displays that a message is waiting.
Never had a "scam" call, but the usual telesales suspects don't leave a message.

People I know only call me on my mobile - which I try to keep turned off as much as possible:thumbsup:

Heh, if I was in charge, I'd make tele-marketing and sales a criminal offense.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What we were always advised to do with cold callers, especially if you are registered with the TPS, as most people seem to be now, is to ask who is calling, get a name and a company and a contact number. tell the caller that you keep a call log of cold callers for the TPS as you registered with them on whatever date you registered. If they then call again you have the info of their last call, and when they were last told not to call you again. Its a little bit of effort but it can pay dividends if you are being repeatedly called by a particular company.
We often just ask them if they have accepted Jesus as their personal saviour. Somehow, they never want to hang about on the phone. Shame really as I have been known to teach at one of our local Sunday schools and know the New Testament pretty well. One of the Pastors at our church suggested it and it works a treat. Our Pastor has a strange sense of humour. It works, they rarely call twice.

asterix

Comrade Member
Never get 'em in York. Loads in France but they give up instantly when I ask them to talk English. In fact thinking about it, no-one has called for over a week now.

"Avez vous accepté Jésus comme votre Sauveur personnel?"

Could give it try if they get past 1st base.. Bit of a blow if they turn out to be Watchtower..

Top Bottom