Cold ent it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

jax67 said:
hiya prettyboy - ive found if you get the gloves from disability places for folks with reynards disease and arthritis these are really warm under cycling gloves and keep the cold out. they have aluminium thread in them, warm as toast.:smile:

Ooo - a nice idea! Cheers!

However, I went out at lunchtime and bought some polyester Altura liner gloves from Evans. I shall report on their effectiveness later.

Crikey! I've just checked Metcheck - it may well be sub-zero when I ride in tomorrow...

A two-pairs-of-socks day, I think!

jax67

well here in the south cheshire area on the edge of the peak district it was minus 10 at 5am according to my baromiter, and its about 2 below at the moment and been snowing - Ive got through a 50kg bag of coal since yesterday just to keep the water hot to stop owt freezing up.

jax67

post me back on them gloves - like know how effective they are. Ive taken to cycling in gortex walking boots in this weather, with gortex walking sox on!.

Jake

yes its been bloody freezing the last week or so, that and my man flu and i've not ridden to work for past couple of weeks. hence why no rants or videos lol. Cant belive I am still seeing commmuters cycling in shorts still!! carzy kids. karki ones though which look good ;) (fashion police)

J4CKO

I wear only a thong and bobble hat, only that because its minus 12.

Its an internet BBS I can pretend to be dead hard.

Actually, below about 8 its tights under the jogging bottoms, roll neck etc, I am not going to be uncomfortable !

PrettyboyTim

Well, although it was better, my fingers still got cold on the way home today. However, I think that was due to not keeping the rest of my body warm enough. I'll wrap up a bit more tomorrow morning and see how it goes then.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Snowed last night, so I put the studded tires on. Still snowing this morning, and lots of blackice. 15-20 mph headwind didn't help. It's going to be a LONG winter. (sigh) I was hoping that we could just skip winter this year.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
First commute of the week this morning and it might be the last ! Whilst the main roads are mainly ice-free (at least if you stay out of the iced-up cycle lanes), many of the back streets and roads on my route were completely iced-over. I did a fair bit of getting off and walking on the grass verges and pavements (it was too slippery on the paths / road), and then I had a fall when I set off after a stop. As I pedalled away, the back wheel slipped and the bike tilted over; managed to regain my balance and instantly decided to unclip, get off and walk until I was away from the worst of the ice. As soon as I swung my right heel out to disengage, the bike slipped left and dumped me on the ground on my right-hand side.

Sprained my wrist a little, otherwise no harm done. Not looking forward to the return leg tonight unless there's a major thaw during the day, and from the forecast for the rest of the week it's not going to get any less icy.

As I don't fancy damaging (a) myself or (:biggrin: my lovely road bike just before Christmas, it might be the dreaded bus for me tomorrow :biggrin:

Jake

oh dear, sound bad t'up North. could you not throw salt ahead of yourself as you go :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm in the car again after yesterday's frozen freehub - re-lubed that last night, only for it to snow on top of ice. Very slippy in South East Manchester, not too bad near work - virtually no snow there, but even the main roads at home looked dodgy sat in the car.

Like goo, don't fancy smashing myself up, as I'll be off the bike longer if that happens.

Only saw one other cyclist at home, a lady, very gingerly going along at about 2 mph, feet out !

goo_mason said:
First commute of the week this morning and it might be the last ! Whilst the main roads are mainly ice-free (at least if you stay out of the iced-up cycle lanes), many of the back streets and roads on my route were completely iced-over. I did a fair bit of getting off and walking on the grass verges and pavements (it was too slippery on the paths / road), and then I had a fall when I set off after a stop. As I pedalled away, the back wheel slipped and the bike tilted over; managed to regain my balance and instantly decided to unclip, get off and walk until I was away from the worst of the ice. As soon as I swung my right heel out to disengage, the bike slipped left and dumped me on the ground on my right-hand side.

Sprained my wrist a little, otherwise no harm done. Not looking forward to the return leg tonight unless there's a major thaw during the day, and from the forecast for the rest of the week it's not going to get any less icy.

As I don't fancy damaging (a) myself or (:biggrin: my lovely road bike just before Christmas, it might be the dreaded bus for me tomorrow :biggrin:
Ouch! it sounds like the back roads were bad; I decided to stick to the main roads thankfully they were clear. However the thoughts of what if sprung to mind this morning. A JCB let me out on Inverlieth Row, I think. 1/2 way up Eyre Place he'd caught me up but he deliberately sat back and waited until it was completely safe to pass. To tell the truth when he did I was glad he was going the perfect smooth pace for me up Dundas St. A minute later a woman in an estate appeared and couldn't decide whether she wanted to tail gate me or overtake to that 2 foot gap between me and the JCB. She didn't like it when the JCB was about to turn right into Heriot Row and I didn't immediately undertake it leaving the road partially free:wacko:

Maz

Guru
threefingerjoe said:
Snowed last night, so I put the studded tires on. Still snowing this morning, and lots of blackice. 15-20 mph headwind didn't help. It's going to be a LONG winter. (sigh) I was hoping that we could just skip winter this year.
Studded tyres? I didn't know such things existed, tbh.

Top Bottom