Cold Feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

I just wear a pair of thin socks under my dhb thermal shocks when it's touching 0C and I have no problems. Anything above 5C and the thermal socks on their own suffice.

Lee_M

Guru
Edit: I have a pair of waterproof Sealskinz socks. They are waterproof. All that happens is that the rain drenches your legs and drips down the surface of your ankle into the sock. It never leaves until you take the socks off. Squelch, squelch. You become a trench foot model.

my sealskinz are brilliant, never got wet feet despite having to through some rather deep fords

if the outside is wet i dont really care, but they seem to dry quickly enough

ShooglyDougie

Veteran
have not tried clingfilm, but use deap heat or tigerbam on my feet when I know it will be -5 or below. It works a treat. keeps your feet warm and smells nice too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had intended to test the carrier bag method.

Made the preparations - bags secured with a garter of masking tape - but the weather was too grotty for a ride.

So I went for a walk.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It does mean that you commit to wearing them with two pairs of socks all the time else your feet slip around in them a bit (depends on the design a little).

They'll only be worn in the winter so hopefully that'll be fine.

I'm just back from an 80 mile ride and my feet are really throbbing. These boots could be the best bit of kit I've ever bought!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I'm just back from an 80 mile ride and my feet are really throbbing. These boots could be the best bit of kit I've ever bought!
My feet (and backside) would be complaining about the 80 miles I suspect!!! Yes I only wear these particular boots in winter, and even if not on the bike with two pairs of socks. Just thought I would point it out, as sometimes I forget and only put one pair of socks on and then my feet slip around.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Last night I did 76 miles in a biting coastal wind and driving snow showers.....in furry crocs and goretex overshoes, the warmest my feet have been all winter.

400bhp

Guru

I have the same boots Andrew and they are the best bit of clothing I have bought. Not only are they warm, they breathe very well are waterproof, clean easily and are lightweight..

I was skeptical about them when a friend bought some but he assured me they were the dogs b's. Turns out he was right.

I suspect they will actually work out cheaper than buying countless overshoes annually too.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have the same boots Andrew and they are the best bit of clothing I have bought. Not only are they warm, they breathe very well are waterproof, clean easily and are lightweight..

I was skeptical about them when a friend bought some but he assured me they were the dogs b's. Turns out he was right.

I suspect they will actually work out cheaper than buying countless overshoes annually too.

Quite, so far I have tried four different pairs of expensive socks and some Gore overshoes that have started falling apart already!

MisterStan

Label Required

I too have these ( I think Fossy or Potsy recommended them) seriously a good investment, also giving the benefit of leaving your summer shoes looking clean and beautiful.

yello

I've experimented with some winter socks from Ground Effect, they didn't work at all.

As mentioned, you need to trap air to have a decent level of insulation (same principal for housing insulation too). Those socks where simply a micro-fleece with a windfoil covering - nowhere to trap air. Worse still, not breathable. So sweat having nowhere to go would chill and so your feet get cold.

Merino socks are excellent imho. Woolie-boolies and winter boots do me for all but the coldest of my winter rides.

Top Bottom