Cold Toes especially Big Toes

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
im sorry thats not really a proper gaurd though i meant longer ones that wrap more around the wheel especially the front one as a lot of spray comes off the front wheel onto your feet and yours isnt close enough to be worth having on .
I know you can get better fttings one, when i had a mtn style bike i had
View attachment 562165
And you can get even longer ones that wrap even more around the wheel, especially the front one... :okay:

Lookrider

Get the kids to scoff 2 bags of doritos
And use the silver lined bags on your feet to keep water out and heat in
Put the shoes in hot cupboard before a ride so as they already more warm than normal

Ajax Bay

Guru
By not wearing longs, the blood supply to your feet is cooled that bit more on the way down so the body's ability to keep your toes warm is reduced. In very/extreme cold weather conditions that's why people use 'wrist warmers': to minimise the reduction in the temperature of the arterial blood supply to the hands/fingers. So, with the suggestions above: thicker or even waterproof socks, wriggle room in footwear, boots, overshoes, chemical heat warmers, decent mudguards, deliberate wriggling your toes - medium thickness longs will keep your feet warmer (and reduce the amount of water getting down the skin to the inside of the socks. Leg warmers will do the same job.

Last edited:

Kryton521

Über Member
Cheapest and probably quickest fix for cold toes is, silver foil wrapped over the toes, outside of socks. I'd always scoffed at the idea, till my last ride, never been so miserable with freezing, wet feet. Never again

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Just don't like my lower legs covered, I warm up too quickly, they also get sopping wet which then make me cold, I alsofind skin easier to wash.
That's what I find too, so I apply the same thinking to the feet and use SPD sandals.

One cause of cold feet is restricting the circulation by trying to use warmer socks, which is a problem that doesn't apply to sandals.
I find bare feet is perfectly OK down to about 5° or so; my toes do get cold if the temperature is lower, but down to zero I can just ignore it. Then the winter boots come out.

One thing I would say is that washing the feet should be done either after they've warmed up, or in tepid water.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's what I find too, so I apply the same thinking to the feet and use SPD sandals.

One cause of cold feet is restricting the circulation by trying to use warmer socks, which is a problem that doesn't apply to sandals.
I find bare feet is perfectly OK down to about 5° or so; my toes do get cold if the temperature is lower, but down to zero I can just ignore it. Then the winter boots come out.

One thing I would say is that washing the feet should be done either after they've warmed up, or in tepid water.
I had loose shoes and overshoes tonight and my feet were cold by the time I get to work but my circulation or lack of it is well documented on cc

gcogger

Hang on, are your boots waterproof? I can't see waterproof socks helping if they are. I tried a pair of sealskinz in my waterproof shoes, as they're recommended so often, and didn't find them any warmer than similar thickness regular socks.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The boots themselves are but does some water run down my legs?
If water running down the legs into the boot is a problem, try drysuit ankle seals.
https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Conical-Ankle-Seal.html (more bottle-shaped varieties are also available)

Put the narrow end against the skin of your leg, and the wide end over the outside of the ankle section of the boot.
Works well, but prevents the use of stirrups on your longs (longs should be over the outside of the ankle seal). The wrist sections from a pair of washing up gloves can also be used

Top Bottom