Colds. Train through them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambie

Hi all,

What's everyone's experience of training whilst having the dreaded winter lurgy?

When I used to predominantly run, I got a bad cold. After a week of rest I got impatient and went for a run. The next day the cold turned into a chest infection and I was out of action for a couple more weeks. Ever since, I've been put off training with a cold in case I make it worse.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sensible option. If below neck cycling a no no. If a head cold, see how you go after a few days, taking it easy

BSRU

A Human Being
From what I have been told the main problem when cycling is that you breath in more deeply and that drags all the gunk deeper into your lungs resulting in something more serious. Also you're taking away vital resources needed by your body to fight the lurgy.
Personally I will cycle with a head cold(not pushing it to hard) but with chest cold or flu rest and recuperate is best.

Feastie

Über Member
I usually keep going. Personally I often feel clearer after going for a run, sitting around indoors just adds to the stuffy feeling in the head. But this is for a viral blocked nose/sinuses/dry cough type picture, never had a chest infection so can't comment on that. I always wrap up well in all the layers necessary and make sure I don't get too cold, more so when feeling under the weather.

If you're worried about yourself though, then the safest thing is probably to take it easy. I mean you can't actually go wrong with that method.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all,

What's everyone's experience of training whilst having the dreaded winter lurgy?
Blacking out and coming round 20 minutes later at the roadside, drenched in sweat, with blurred vision, and my heart going like a train.

Decided ...
  1. Not to attempt to train whilst having the dreaded winter lurgy!
  2. To abandon the ride and go back home to my sickbed, where I should have stayed in the first place!

shadow master

My experience is if you continue training,the rides are generally well below par(so what's the point)and the lurgy just holds on a bit longer....use it as a rest probably do you good.

In some ways I'm lucky. I have asthma and I can use that as a guide when I get ill. If a cold is affecting my asthma, I take it very easy and only ride for transport. If my asthma is out of control, I stay at home and do nothing. If my asthma is fine, I carry on as normal. So in other words I listen to what my body is telling me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My 100 km ride in chilly air yesterday seems to have niggled my lungs, which are still recovering from the bug I developed on Christmas Eve. I have been coughing quite a lot since I got home. Both of my sisters are also still coughing a month later. It is certainly a persistent lurgy!

My 100 km ride in chilly air yesterday seems to have niggled my lungs, which are still recovering from the bug I developed on Christmas Eve. I have been coughing quite a lot since I got home. Both of my sisters are also still coughing a month later. It is certainly a persistent lurgy!
It took my husband over 6 weeks to clear it. Curiously though I haven't succumbed to it. <goes off to find some wood>

Top Bottom