Colleague Nicknames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

TheDoctor said:
My local CTC section has a guy with a huge white beard. Captain Birdseye.
I remember now: we had a Captain Birdseye at our place too. That takes you back a few years, don't it! I don't think the ads have been on for ages: who here is too young to remember?

Another one I remember: I once dubbed a certain business associate "The Voice" - again, because of a strong physical resemblance to ... who then? Who here remembers far enough back? And no googling! :blush:

I got nicknamed "The Grey Man" for always being around, reliable, hard working and being the man to go to if something needed to get done.

I quite liked it, given to me by my line manager, after he described me as "flying under the radar", when I delivered a high impact project that seriously increased my teams efficiency.

I heard him say to a few people that he would get the grey man on it. :tongue:

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Pete said:
I remember now: we had a Captain Birdseye at our place too. That takes you back a few years, don't it! I don't think the ads have been on for ages: who here is too young to remember?

Another one I remember: I once dubbed a certain business associate "The Voice" - again, because of a strong physical resemblance to ... who then? Who here remembers far enough back? And no googling! :tongue:

Charlotte Church? Oh no, she was voice of an angel.:ohmy:

Pete

Nope. Nowhere near. And google won't help you, I just looked, so google away! This is a toughie; clue: goes back to many years ago when I was a kid.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pete said:

Another one I remember: I once dubbed a certain business associate "The Voice" - again, because of a strong physical resemblance to ... who then? Who here remembers far enough back? And no googling! :tongue:

Midge Ure from Ultravox?:ohmy:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Wasn't Russel Watson billed as The Voice (the Tenor?).

Can't recall anyone from my childhood being dubbed that, but then I may be a lot younger than you. xx(

Frank Sinatra was called that too IIRC, although he's before my time (and as such I *don't* remember it...)

Pete

None of those. Sorry, probably too difficult for many folks, need to be at least in your early/mid fifties to remember this:
Garry Halliday
1959 to 1962. Master aviator. Superb stuff! I remember it vividly - compulsory viewing every Saturday afternoon post-Grandstand. Think: Biggles but without the camp suggestion, constantly pursued by arch-villain, master criminal The Voice - heard but never seen by the protagonists (seen by the viewers though). Think: Blofeld in horn-rimmed glasses, infinitely more evil and without the cat.... you get the picture. I was desolate when the series was axed - possibly to clear the decks for Doctor Who which took the same slot the following year - possibly because sadly the Voice actor fell ill and died the same year: they used a stand-in for a few episodes but it wasn't popular.

As for my erstwhile colleague: a striking resemblance in looks, but more significantly in that all-important voice. Imagine a soft, musical but slightly sinister Welsh lilt. You've got it.

Sorry, hijacked this thread a bit, but happy reminiscences for me. TV was worth watching in those days.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
1962! Never mind me, my dad was 17 then!

That could be why I don't remember it. I liked the idea of someone having a colleague who looks like Midge Ure, especially if they're in the Vienna office.

abchandler

TheDoctor said:
1962! Never mind me, my dad was 17 then!

That could be why I don't remember it. I liked the idea of someone having a colleague who looks like Midge Ure, especially if they're in the Vienna office.

It means nothing to me

abchandler

longers said:
We did this twice. I was "nipples" both times :thumbsdown:.

Not surprising, if you entered the same name. Looks like some sort of generator based on the letters you enter. Doesn't matter which box you put them in or what order. The same combination of letters produces the same result

U

User482

We had some good ones in my old job:

Fat bloke called Barry: Barry Island
Another fat bloke: Two Blokes
Chap who you could never find: Bin Laden
Chap who always had to be first at everything: Aarron Aardvark
Chap who once got his fingers badly damaged in a machine: Fingers
Chap who was never seen out of his chair: Ironside
Chap who looked just like Boss Hogg: - you guessed it, Boss Hogg.

Top Bottom