Colleague took a nasty fall today...legal advice sought...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Fab Foodie, 13 Feb 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Thanks Jakes Dad
    What's scary is the so called "Corrected Version" in that link is exactly what caused the accidents I referred too. They're still lethal because they are slippery as tramlines when wet, whereas riding over then at 90 degrees is fine, just buzzy.

I'm still struggling to understand exactly their role and benefit.

2. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

Trusty, in general I'd agree with your position, but these installations are deliberately installed by the council as as an apparent safety measure are when wet a distinct hazard for the designated users of the path, i.e cyclists.
    They are badly designed for riding over...full stop.

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I know it's not answering your question FF, but if these things are so 'lethal' in the wet etc. the only solution must be to use the road instead!!

4. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

That's OK for me, but this path is great for kids going to school and numerous other 2 wheeled commuters, the alternative is a pretty busy road at rush hour. Apart from these groovy-bits the path is great and relaxing to ride.

5. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

It might be worth E-Mailing the Newton Abbott cycling club as its been quite a big news story here locally and i believe the they are still working with the local authority to try and find a better solution ?

Simon

6. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

The 'correct' ones look a little better than the orginals (wider spaces), but I agree, not ideal at all. I'm sure I have a dim and distant memory that when those things first came it, they were supposed to be at right angles for the bike part of the path, (hence buzzy, but not trappy). I wonder if too many council workers who never cycle simply installed them in what they assumed was the right way - after all, having the bars acrosswise is a little counterintuative, unless you cycle. Or whether leisure cyclists out on dry summer pootles were complaining, not knowing the danger or them when wet or icy?

If there is somewhere a statute that says they ought to be crosswise, then I guess there is space for legal action... But I may just be remembering wrong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice