Colleague took a nasty fall today...legal advice sought...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Jakes Dad said:
A town here in the south west is having a similiar problem but from what i've heard on the local news is that the council are keen to resolve the problem for fear of being held responsible for a serious accident

Newton Abbott Cycling Group

Simon
Thanks Jakes Dad
What's scary is the so called "Corrected Version" in that link is exactly what caused the accidents I referred too. They're still lethal because they are slippery as tramlines when wet, whereas riding over then at 90 degrees is fine, just buzzy.

I'm still struggling to understand exactly their role and benefit.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

trustysteed said:
You have to adjust your riding to the conditions and surface you're riding on. When I fell off my bike yesterday, my first thought was 'You arse!', not 'How much money can I sue the council for slipping on the white road markings in the frost'?

At some point, people have to take responsibility and blame for their own actions, not try and get financial benefit from somebody else if they'd just taken more care themselves.

Trusty, in general I'd agree with your position, but these installations are deliberately installed by the council as as an apparent safety measure are when wet a distinct hazard for the designated users of the path, i.e cyclists.
They are badly designed for riding over...full stop.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Keith Oates said:
I know it's not answering your question FF, but if these things are so 'lethal' in the wet etc. the only solution must be to use the road instead!!
That's OK for me, but this path is great for kids going to school and numerous other 2 wheeled commuters, the alternative is a pretty busy road at rush hour. Apart from these groovy-bits the path is great and relaxing to ride.

Fab Foodie said:
Thanks Jakes Dad
What's scary is the so called "Corrected Version" in that link is exactly what caused the accidents I referred too. They're still lethal because they are slippery as tramlines when wet, whereas riding over then at 90 degrees is fine, just buzzy.

It might be worth E-Mailing the Newton Abbott cycling club as its been quite a big news story here locally and i believe the they are still working with the local authority to try and find a better solution ?

Simon

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fab Foodie said:
Thanks Jakes Dad

The 'correct' ones look a little better than the orginals (wider spaces), but I agree, not ideal at all. I'm sure I have a dim and distant memory that when those things first came it, they were supposed to be at right angles for the bike part of the path, (hence buzzy, but not trappy). I wonder if too many council workers who never cycle simply installed them in what they assumed was the right way - after all, having the bars acrosswise is a little counterintuative, unless you cycle. Or whether leisure cyclists out on dry summer pootles were complaining, not knowing the danger or them when wet or icy?

If there is somewhere a statute that says they ought to be crosswise, then I guess there is space for legal action... But I may just be remembering wrong.

Top Bottom