Collision with a Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yikes - you can thank your lucky stars you came out alive !! I was tensing up myself as the car approached, and you did the same byu the sound of it... the "nnnnnnnnnnnng" just before they hit you as the realisation set in.

Glad to hear you're doing (raelatively) okay. Hope you get things sorted quickly.

PS - Great vid, btw!! :blush:

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

mr_cellophane said:
That is terrible. It looks like you nearly missed him, but that is probably due to the camera being on the right hand side. Says something for the strength of the camera if it kept filming but your helmet cracked.
Who was the idiot who looks like they try to help you up. They need some basic First Aid lessons. Still glad you aren't too badly hurt and not much blood loss.
Poor driving from the Mondeo who doesn't look like he slowed down and the black Audi who should have given way - but as he must have see you coming would have "known" that anyone on his right should have to give way.
Nice scratch and dents in the side of the Mondeo so obviously not a careful driver !

The camera itself didn't take any hits, but it looks like a tough little thing.
http://vholdr.com/

The passenger got to me first, but I think she just held my arm to let me know she was there. I don't remember anybody helping me up as such. It also seemed better to stay down, I didn't need much encouragement.

I didn't notice the dents on the car. I will have to have another look.

I know I made a couple of new ones. I marked the bumper and the bonnet.

Mike!

Guru
That's a nasty one, i bet you're glad you had a helmet on though :blush:

Wishing a speedy recovery and hope you feel ok about cycling again.

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Yikes - you can thank your lucky stars you came out alive !! I was tensing up myself as the car approached, and you did the same byu the sound of it... the "nnnnnnnnnnnng" just before they hit you as the realisation set in.

Glad to hear you're doing (raelatively) okay. Hope you get things sorted quickly.

PS - Great vid, btw!! :blush:

I'm quite proud of the camerawork. But I certainly don't want to do another take. :biggrin:

The video goes on for quite a while and you can see the downed bike in the background and the arrival of the paramedic.

It's great to be able to see the details of what happened.
I only remember the initial hit and then the ground approaching my face at high speed.

If you watch the video slowly, it looks like I spin all over the place.
There is a frame where I am upsidedown looking at the Audi driver who is looking back at me through his side window....

MacLean

AndyB said:
I haven't been on a bike since, but the confidence feels ok.
We shall see how I feel when I get the bike replaced.

My previous crash, which was more from behind did result in me feeling a sort of feeling of dread for a while. Especially slowing down for a turn if there was a car behind me. I kept expecting to be scooped up by the bonnet. I guess it's the primitive parts of the brain trying to stop you making the same mistakes.

I didn't speak much to the driver. But he was mortified.
It was just a normal nice old couple on their way back from Sunday lunch.
They made a simple mistake and have to deal with what happened to someone as a result of that.

The police said they would be prosecuting and they have a copy of the complete video.

Ive thankfully not been in any rta involving other cars so am not familliar with it, but what are they prosecuting him with? Dangerous driving or not enough attention or something whats he likely to get???

BTW Glad your okay, and you didnt even brake any bones?!

That was awful. Glad you are well and on the mend. :blush:

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

MacLean said:
Ive thankfully not been in any rta involving other cars so am not familliar with it, but what are they prosecuting him with? Dangerous driving or not enough attention or something whats he likely to get???

BTW Glad your okay, and you didnt even brake any bones?!

I'm amazed I didn't break anything.
I felt sure my nose must have broken.
That is the hardest I have ever been hit in the face.

I'm not sure what the charge will be. I am waiting for the paperwork from the police. I have posted the officer who is handling it a copy of the unedited footage.

The officer phoned me on the night of the accident. He had gone to the hospital to speak to me but I had already left. They had interviewed the driver, taken photographs and measurements of the scene, matched paint etc and taken my bike to the station for storage.

I will update as things progress.

PK99

Legendary Member
AndyB said:
I'm a long time lurker on the cyclechat site.

I thought I should share my recent crash with you.

*warning it is a bit graphic and there is some blood*
http://vholdr.com/node/83183

y

Ooch!

I had a similar SMIDSY on wednesday. Driver did a u-turn and immediate right across me into a junnction, after getting stuck at a level crossing in motspur park (SW London).

Bike is not good and most of me seems to be working with the help of heavy duty painkillers but his car will need new bonnet & wing and repairs to both doors on the offside! Plus i felt no guilt at lying in the middle of a very busy junction for 30 minutes or so at rush hour

Observations about my crash and your video:

1 In each case the driver was 100% at fault by failing to give way.

2 In each case we both failed to cycle defensively.
I assumed (as did the driver who hit me) that gridlocked traffic meant the yellow cross-hatched junction was, and would remain, empty. I would normally have slowed to almost a stop before crossing the hatched junction despite having right of way. i did slow, but not as much.

In your case, going through a roundabout at 20mph gives no margin of error if the oncoming driver makes the predictable mistake.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Hope you heal up quickly, Andy.

At 9/10 secs, when you say "Jesus" it's horrible viewing - that split second when you know you're ****ed.

I feel uncomfortable, empathetic and voyeuristic watching that collision.

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Origamist said:
Hope you heal up quickly, Andy.

At 9/10 secs, when you say "Jesus" it's horrible viewing - that split second when you know you're ****ed.

I feel uncomfortable, empathetic and voyeuristic watching that collision.

I showed it to people at work and it seems to make very uneasy viewing, especially for drivers.
I think it may be the way the camera puts the viewer right on the bike takes them right down with me.
They realise what it can be like.

Top Bottom