Collision with a Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
AndyB said:
I showed it to people at work and it seems to make very uneasy viewing, especially for drivers.
I think it may be the way the camera puts the viewer right on the bike takes them right down with me.
They realise what it can be like.

Yep, it's graphic POV material that brings home to people how vulnerable cyclists are. It's just a shame that it often needs film of a tangled, bloody mess to humanise cyclists in the eyes of a proportion of motorists.

I hope/suspect a Careless Driving charge will follow.

;) eek Andy, that sounded/ looked horific, I'm glad you are OK. I can't see any mitigating facts for the driver (its not like his visibility was blocked), I hope they throw the book at them.

Origamist

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
;) eek Andy, that sounded/ looked horific, I'm glad you are OK. I can't see any mitigating facts for the driver (its not like his visibility was blocked), I hope they throw the book at them.

Possibly, A-pillar, but that is no excuse or "looked, but failed to see".

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
OMG!! I cycle through there all the time, my back yard so to speak.

Well I am glad your well and Alive! Great video quality.

However I didnt realise there was also someone else on here from Staines, hello!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
gaz said:
Oh my god that looked bad.

Yep, those Sandals were HORRIFIC!

AndyB said:
It was just a normal nice old couple on their way back from Sunday lunch.
They made a simple mistake and have to deal with what happened to someone as a result of that.

Joking aside, I hope you are ok now..you seem to have a fantastic attitude toward the whole thing. I would love to think that I could be so undertanding in that position...well done

Bet you are glad you had a camera strapped on...and a lid I guess;)

Swift Recovery Andy

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

HLaB said:

Yeah, I know I was going fairly quickly, but I had a clear view at the point I went into the roundabout. He was a good distance back from the give way line at that point.

Watching the video, he doesn't seem to slow at all until after the impact.
I think even if I had been doing 10mph or even stopped completely, he would still have collected me on the front of the car.

NigC

OMG, that's a real nasty one! Glad to hear you're mending OK ;)

As a driver, I'm always scared that pillar will block my view of something important. That certainly doesn't excuse anyone from not doing what needs to be done TO see what needs to be seen.

It's only ever a problem when approaching roundabouts, so if anyone ever sees me driving and moving backwards and forwards like my neck is on elastic, I'm making sure I can see everything.

Hope the aftermath doesn't take too long to sort out :ohmy:

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

jonny jeez said:
Yep, those Sandals were HORRIFIC!

Joking aside, I hope you are ok now..you seem to have a fantastic attitude toward the whole thing. I would love to think that I could be so undertanding in that position...well done

Bet you are glad you had a camera strapped on...and a lid I guess;)

Swift Recovery Andy

:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

I can definitely recommend the cameras. They are invaluable to putting together just what happened sometimes.

They also take very good photos which is great for when you are riding through interesting places. There is no need to hunt for your camera, as you already have thousands of fairly decent photos, especially running at 1080p!

Plus even though it was very bad, it was cool to have caught it on film, which maybe able to be used to do some good if it makes a few more drivers think a little longer and look out for us. I'm focusing on the positive aspects. ;)

Arrgghhh! Huddy blell that looked nasty, one of those definite sphincter-test moments if I ever saw one! Reminds me of the only off I've ever had with a car, nice old couple coming back from wherever at lighting-up time, pulled from a side road into a main, looking past me to the cars way behind me and I merged into the oncoming lights. Horrid feeling when at the point of no return and you know there's nowt you can do.

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Davywalnuts said:
OMG!! I cycle through there all the time, my back yard so to speak.

Well I am glad your well and Alive! Great video quality.

However I didnt realise there was also someone else on here from Staines, hello!

It's one of my favourite rides after work.
Up towards Datchet, through Eton, past Windsor Castle and then through the Great park before turning back towards Egham and Staines.

I sent you a PM.

Jezston

Über Member
AndyB: hope you get better and back on a bike soon!

Showed this to a driving colleague of mine who happened to enter my office while I was watching - think he'll definitely be paying extra attention on the roads tonight!

Mind if we publicise it further?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Glad you're ok and you seem to be handling it all very proficiently.

It does look like one of those where the drivers given a quick glance, knows the junction and has decided to create his own rolling advanced stop line to ensure he gets on as fast as possible. People just don't seem to register cyclists in the same way. From not seeing them at all to confusing them with a pedestrian or totally misjudging travelling speed. There are a few that just bully there way out re cyclists but they are few and far between and this guy seems to fall into the first category.

Top Bottom