Collision with a Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

NigC said:
From what you're saying, it sounds like the driver was genuinely and completely sorry for a stupid mistake.

It might sound odd to some people, but I think I'd prefer to be hit by a complete moron (as long as they didn't get away with it). At least you can focus some anger on them while you're recuperating and then smile like a Cheshire Cat when they lose their licence.

I bet if the driver had seen you at the last minute and managed to hit the brakes in time, that would have been all the wake-up call he needed for many years driving to come. Now he's had the wake-up call plus and then some!
+1

Origamist

Legendary Member
AndyB said:
I showed it to people at work and it seems to make very uneasy viewing, especially for drivers.
I think it may be the way the camera puts the viewer right on the bike takes them right down with me.
They realise what it can be like.

On reflection, the vid would make a good DfT Think! advert/campaign - far more hard hitting than the recent bank heist film. I'd send it to them when you're feeling better and the investigation is over.

shippers

Mad Doug Biker said:
Well, at least the driver stopped instead of just speeding away as though you didn't exist.

If there is a blind spot in the front of a car like that, then why do the car companies still design cars like that?? maybe we should start some sort of campaign to try and get them to change it!!

It's blatantly a design flaw!

Ok, so you will never make a design that is totally foolproof, but I'm sure that improvements COULD be made somewhere!!

I've not seen the vid- been taken down, but I assume the bit of car that's in the way is the A-frame, the edge of the windscreen.
If you see crash tests, you see how vital it is in stoppin the driver getting squished. Don't know if it could really be designed out- you would end up with a thinker pillar somewhere else.

Reminds me of my off 2 months ago. Someone else knocked off on wednesday in Headingly.

NigC said:
From what you're saying, it sounds like the driver was genuinely and completely sorry for a stupid mistake.

It might sound odd to some people, but I think I'd prefer to be hit by a complete moron (as long as they didn't get away with it). At least you can focus some anger on them while you're recuperating and then smile like a Cheshire Cat when they lose their licence.

I bet if the driver had seen you at the last minute and managed to hit the brakes in time, that would have been all the wake-up call he needed for many years driving to come. Now he's had the wake-up call plus and then some!

Nice sentiments, and easy to make when injury has been slight. I dont doubt for one moment that it was an accident. But this stupid mistake could so easily have cost a life or seriously affected someones quality of life.

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

I can hopefully put the link back up tomorrow.
I just need to confirm with the officer who is handling the case and he went off duty at 4pm.

The officers at Staines station suggested that I should probably not make it public until I have checked with him.

He starts early tomorrow so I will be on the phone first thing.

Thanks for all the positive messages.

Much appreciated.

BTW
I agree with Origamist that this video would make an excellent advert.

Hi Andy.

Great to have you back on here, terrible that it is under these circumstances. I was lucky enough (if you can say that!) that Andy let me see the video before he posted it on here.

It really did shock me. Not because it was particularly graphic, a bit of blood, sure, but nothing horrible to look at. It was the inevitability of the crash just after Andy had entered the roundabout. It sent shivers down my spine! ;) That is a feeling I really don't want to feel in real life!!

Glad you are on the mend Andy and its great that you are so pragmatic about it. It is certainly good that the driver is remorseful, as they should be. It will be interesting to see what course of action the police suggest.

I also agree that this video is an excellent advert for why drivers should be more observant/not use mobiles/not try and cut in before a cyclists etc. How about the CTC?

Having seen the full length video, I must add my congratulations to the chap with the sandels. He really was top notch in how he dealt with the incident and with Andy. He is very deserving of a beer, or six!!:thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Hi Andy.

It really did shock me. ... It was the inevitability of the crash just after Andy had entered the roundabout.

I felt the same, especially when you hear the noise that Andy makes as soon as he knows its gonna hurt and there is nothing he can do to stop it.

Once again Andy...I'm really inspred by your attitude to the whole thing.

Tynan

Veteran
it's funny how those capable herberts appear at accidents, the two serious accidents I've had that hurt me both had someone that really knew what to do

not sure i want to see the vid

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Be prepared for a long drawn out battle with the third party insurers... I don't have a polite word to say......... they are happy to pay out £xxxxx to fix a car, but not £xxxx to fix a person...... bar stewards the lot...........

Ian Johnson

magnatom said:
Having seen the full length video, I must add my congratulations to the chap with the sandels. He really was top notch in how he dealt with the incident and with Andy. He is very deserving of a beer, or six!!:sad:

+1

Norm

Mad Doug Biker said:
If there is a blind spot in the front of a car like that, then why do the car companies still design cars like that?? maybe we should start some sort of campaign to try and get them to change it!!

It's blatantly a design flaw!
More than a design flaw, many modern designs are actually illegal. Manufacturers use a clause that allows secondary pillars for opening quarter-lights to exclude the width of a second pillar from the calculations as to the amount of view they are allowed block.

AndyB said:
It's one of my favourite rides after work.
Up towards Datchet, through Eton, past Windsor Castle and then through the Great park before turning back towards Egham and Staines.

I sent you a PM.
Not sure where the accident happened but that's pretty normal hunting ground for me and Hotmetal, who also lives over towards Datchet.

magnatom said:
It really did shock me. Not because it was particularly graphic, a bit of blood, sure, but nothing horrible to look at. It was the inevitability of the crash just after Andy had entered the roundabout. It sent shivers down my spine! :laugh: That is a feeling I really don't want to feel in real life!!
I was thinking of your tanker when reading the OP.

AndyB said:
The police attended and took details while the paramedic took me to Wexham Park Hospital, Slough to be checked over and patched up.
You survived Wexham Park? Blimey, congratulations on that. :biggrin:

Get good quick, Andy, and hope to catch you at a tea stop sometime.:sad:

Stephenite

Membå
Glad you are relatively ok, mate.

Horrible vid tho. It wasnt the blood at all. But like Magnatom said the predictability of it after you realised a collision was unavoidable.

Shown it to a few guys at work and it made an impression.

Shocking driving. You say they were a nice couple but mistakes like that kill people and need to be treated appropriately.

Get well, and get a new bike soon.

Top Bottom