Collision with a Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Norm said:
More than a design flaw, many modern designs are actually illegal. Manufacturers use a clause that allows secondary pillars for opening quarter-lights to exclude the width of a second pillar from the calculations as to the amount of view they are allowed block.

And people wonder why I don't like cars....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
shippers said:
If you see crash tests, you see how vital it is in stoppin the driver getting squished.

So as long as th Oh so precious driver is ok, then they can make a design that squishes everyone else instead?? :wacko::becool::smile:

Mad Doug Biker said:
And people wonder why I don't like cars....

Cars are ok but unfortunately people who drive them aren't always.:smile:

Hope you can get over this nightmare AndyB.

Sounds bloody awful and no doubt it is.

PBancroft

AndyB said:
I've removed the link temporarily until I check with the officer who is dealing with the case... after advice at the local police station.

I will keep you updated.

Didn't see the video, but from what you and other people say you are a very lucky person indeed. As nice and as apologetic as the driver may have been, I hope that they are taken off the road at least temporarily.

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Ok, I spoke to the officer.
He said if he owned the footage he would keep it as evidence.
But the case is pretty clear cut and as I have the video and it is mine, he can't say I shouldn't put it online.

So I think that's as near to ok as I will get.

Here is the link: http://vholdr.com/node/83183

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

fossyant said:
Be prepared for a long drawn out battle with the third party insurers... I don't have a polite word to say......... they are happy to pay out £xxxxx to fix a car, but not £xxxx to fix a person...... bar stewards the lot...........

I have the same CTC solicitor who handled my previous accident, six months back. She did a very good job and things were settled within a few months.
I was lucky to have a good, independent witness in that case too. Not something you always get.

I can imagine things being much harder without people to back you up, especially has human memory is so fallible.

This one seems very clear cut, so should be no major hurdles <touch wood>.
The police are satisfied that I was on the roundabout etc, they measured and photographed the scene and said these would be available to the insurance. I also seem to have a whole crowd of witnesses.

Stay safe,

Andy

yello

That really is horrific footage to watch Andy. Made worse by the sense (and one that you must have had 10 fold!) of what is about to happen. Seeing the car move forward and knowing you're going to hit it. I'm darned pleased you came out of it relatively unscathed.

To change tack a little, in hindsight do you think there's anything you could have done to avoid the incident? (Short of not having gotten on the bike that morning!) Was there any tell tale signs that you recall, any spider-sense or uncertainty about that car? I think if you have any insights, or things you'd do differently next time, it'd be really really useful if you could share them.

It's my biggest fear at junctions... if I can't make eye-contact with a driver (for whatever reason), I become uncertain as to their intentions... and even when I DO make eye-contact, I'm not always sure!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yello said:
That really is horrific footage to watch Andy. Made worse by the sense (and one that you must have had 10 fold!) of what is about to happen. Seeing the car move forward and knowing you're going to hit it. I'm darned pleased you came out of it relatively unscathed.

To change tack a little, in hindsight do you think there's anything you could have done to avoid the incident? (Short of not having gotten on the bike that morning!) Was there any tell tale signs that you recall, any spider-sense or uncertainty about that car? I think if you have any insights, or things you'd do differently next time, it'd be really really useful if you could share them.

It's my biggest fear at junctions... if I can't make eye-contact with a driver (for whatever reason), I become uncertain as to their intentions... and even when I DO make eye-contact, I'm not always sure!

sort of answering for him, I'm sure Andy knows he could have been riding more defensively. But it's also easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. Clear day, light traffic, good visibility and also the fact that the driver really shouldn't be doing what they did even if a cyclist wasn't there. Plus riding in a super defensive manner is very mentally tiring.

It all comes down to a pile of ifs, buts and maybes

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Ooh, I felt for you there.

The only time I've ever hit the road face first was entirely my own fault: I misjudged one of those solid metal raised barriers (the sort that lower to let traffic over) and my pedal caught it as I passed. Bike stopped very suddenly and I went over the bars straight into the road. Very painful so I appreciate how you feel. The pics were pretty gruesome too. I now treat that barrier with a lot of respect every time I pass it!

Anyway, I'm glad you've not suffered any personal breakages as a result of that horrible looking fall and I wish you a speedy recovery - and a new bike at someone else's expense! I've found the CTC lawyers to be very helpful in that respect.

Glad the camera held up too! Your footage is another excellent example of the benefits of wearing one: Evidence!

martynjc1977

Veteran
Awesome footage, and glad your injuries aint that bad, it could have been a lot worse. Am now wanting a camera just in case i need evidence should anything happen to me.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I had an argument with a car back in August. I'd like to learn from it - but I still have no memory at all of what happened. Eyewitness testimony being the unreliable thing it is, I still haven't heard a cogent explanation, and probably never will.

Now I use a camera most days.

I really hope this film gets seen by as many people as possible.

Barbelier

OMG!;) Only just seen this!
Very glad you weren't more seriously injured.

Even more alarming because I cycle along that road pretty often. One of my favourite training routes takes me through Burnham Beeches, Taplow, round Dorney Lake, Eton Wick, Eton, Datchet, round Windsor Gt Park, back up to Datchet, round the Queen Mothers Resevoir and back home via Fulmer and Farnham Common. Mind you, I'd probably would only have been doing 10 mph and be on the brakes at that point. Wouldn't have stopped the accident, but I maybe I wouldn't have flown as far as you did!

Hope you make a speedy recovery and you are successful in any action you have to take against the driver (sounds like you have plenty of evidence and witnesses on your side).

Will1985

Über Member
Just seen this - I had flashbacks of my own collisions with cars seeing that. That moment before impact must be the same for everyone where you know what's going to happen.

Get well soon.

Top Bottom