Colloquial local expressions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One I used to hear my dad say - mider - meaning to annoy. He'd say something like 'you have me midered, get over the park and play'.
I believe it's more a Scouse saying, but also Celtic, and dad being Irish may account for this. Not heard it said in many a year.

Mither surely??

Both my family and my wife's consider it as a normal saying
and as well come from opposite side of the Liverpool area (even divided by the Mersey!!) it must be pretty widespread

another thing is the pronunciation of "book"

my Mum's family always pronounce is as book - with the oo the same as coo or moo
everyone else correctly say it correctly (!!) a with a harder oo

funnily enough when it is used as a verb it is often said the same as me
but as a noun it has the moo sound

again - my wife comes from Prescot/St Helens type areas - i.e. proper wolley-backs
whereas my Mum's family comes from the Wirral or even Wrexham (Wales!)
generally very different but several very similar words and phrases - and often different again from proper Scouse

As @Dave7 comes from a civilised area - I was wondering if he has seen these sort of things???

bobzmyunkle

my Mum's family always pronounce is as book - with the oo the same as coo or moo
Correctly???
Cook the books or cuck the bucks?
What about moor? Do you go for a walk on the mores?
As I've said in the past when my pronunciation has been questioned, I'm quite happy to cook tea if you want someone to cuck dinner (which I ate at midday) you'll have to look elsewhere.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mither surely??

and as well come from opposite side of the Liverpool area (even divided by the Mersey!!) it must be pretty widespread

another thing is the pronunciation of "book"

funnily enough when it is used as a verb it is often said the same as me
but as a noun it has the moo sound

again - my wife comes from Prescot/St Helens type areas - i.e. proper wolley-backs
whereas my Mum's family comes from the Wirral or even Wrexham (Wales!)
generally very different but several very similar words and phrases - and often different again from proper Scouse

As @Dave7 comes from a civilised area - I was wondering if he has seen these sort of things???

My family was all dead posh like and was dragged up in Seacombe (Wallasey).
So a book is a buke :rolleyes:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Mither surely??

It hasn't reached the Midlands yet. When somebody in Cheshire said it I had to ask them what it meant!

This was my reference
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mider

Perhaps there are two spellings?

Fair enough

but it's wrong

reference - me and my wife

Top Bottom