Colloquial local expressions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Clout is also used on Tyneside/Wearside, meaning to hit someone.

My late mother used an expression, which I assume is Tyneside, if we asked for some mildly extravagant treat (eg some sweets):

"where do you think you are?, your granny's yacht"

Havent heard anyone use that for quite a while

Alex321

Veteran
Clout

This has 2 meanings
1. To hit someone, you ‘clout’ them
2. Around Barnsley, it’s a scarf (‘muffler’ in some areas)

Well clout is an old English word for cloth or clothing, and is where the old saying "Ne’er cast a clout ‘til May be out" comes from. Sounds like it is just rather more specific in the Barnley area.

EDIT - oops, see I was beaten to this, on the next page.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As kids, we used 'croggy' in the 70's to mean give a lift on your bike. Today, 'backie' seems the norm?.

In south Wales that would be a "saddler"

’Booley’

Perculiar to the Barnsley area?

Allegedly invented by Ian McMillan, in the 70’s, so he admits in one of his books
Listeners to ‘Radcliffe & Maconie’ (to name one location he can be found) will know of him

It covers a large area of possible uses, eg;
”Feeling Booley” poorly/sick
”Booley Wind strong, or cold, wind
”Booley song” a good tune

Etc, etc…….

As seen in this book

IMG_9026.jpeg

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
I think Mardy is fairly universal, not just West Yorkshire. I've certainly heard it here in South Wales, and my family have always used it, and expected it to be understood anywhere (though my parents were from Lancashire, which isn't all that far from West Yorks).

Mardy was common in Leicestershire when I moved there in the 80s, but I had never heard it in the SE and East Anglia where I'd lived up till then.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Top Bottom