Colloquial local expressions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think Mardy is fairly universal, not just West Yorkshire. I've certainly heard it here in South Wales, and my family have always used it, and expected it to be understood anywhere (though my parents were from Lancashire, which isn't all that far from West Yorks).

It is pretty much northern, albeit has spread.

F8E88633-076E-4116-8921-67D6E90DBE41.jpeg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you come across a weird scotch term, it will be one of 3 things (you can usually tell from context):
- a drunk person,."
- something nice to eat, or
- the English.

For a long time I'd not realised "numpty" was originally a Scottish term.

I do like their term "gobshyte" which is both self explanatory and rather evocative of a certain type of person

And the more genteel term "outwith" which has no fully satisfactory English-English equivalanet. A Scottish neighbour used it in a technical report and his boss when proof-reading complained "That's not a word. It's two words joined together used wrongly". Needless to say, thereafter he would contrive to use "outwith" in his documents wherever the context legitimately allowed it

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
For a long time I'd not realised "numpty" was originally a Scottish term.

I do like their term "gobshyte" which is both self explanatory and rather evocative of a certain type of person

And the more genteel term "outwith" which has no fully satisfactor English-English equivalanet. A Scottish neighbour used it in a technical report and his boss when proof-reading complained "That's not a word. It's two words joined together used wrongly". Needless to say, thereafter he would contrive to use "outwith" in his documents wherever the context legitimately allowed it

I might need to post this in the Admit your ignorance thread, but I never knew Outwith was a Scottish thing.

Proto

Legendary Member
In Brum an off-licence is the ‘outdoor’.

”I’m going to the outdoor to get some pop”

And if you took a torturous route to get there, you might say, “took us ages, we went all round the Wrekin.”

Chris S

Legendary Member
Blethered; I’ve not heard it anywhere else but around the Wakefield area

Generally applies to someone who had got mud/dirt on clothes/face

In Northern Ireland a blether is somebody who talks rubbish.
The Icelandic for journalist is 'bladamadur', which is pronounced 'blether mouther'.
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=is&text=journalist&op=translate
Presumably it's of Viking origin.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
'Cheers drive' is peculiar to Bristol, oft used thanking your driver. And now we have.....
1316636.jpg

I've often thought the opening line of Aha's 007 Living Daylights theme was written by a Bristolian:

'Hey drive...where we going?' :okay:

Top Bottom