Colloquial local expressions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Serious question.
Is that the correct spelling?
All my life I thought it was barMpot.

or even bampot

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
"Bawbag" is used in some of the novels I read. Probably Ian Rankin's Rebus series. I'd guessed the meaning from the context.

A local one to Northumberland that I've never got a good definition of is "skittering ched". My grandda used it as an insult towards football referees if he disagreed with their decision.

I wonder if it refers to water striders and if the insult is to do with their seemingly random changes in direction

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Bristolians append an "L" to words ending in a vowel. eg "what a good ideal", or refer to a local pub, without irony, as the "Noval Scotial". Back in the day I've heard "Ford Cortinal" said in all seriousness"-

In South Wales, missing school was referred to as "mitching". Aa far as I know this only applied specifically to truanting, as opposed to missing work or skiving off anything else. Likewise in school to tell tales was to "splam on" someone. In Cardiff this was regarded with contempt, but in my junior school in Camarthernshire the kid used to tell tales on each other all the time.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I suspect many are no longer "local", and, some are local pronunciations rather than different words, but, from Tyneside/Wearside

Clarts = mud
doon = down
ganon = go on
Hinny = term of endearment,
Kidda = a reference to another person, or persons
Watfettle = whats happening/what you doing
Luckin = looking
netty = toilet
tab = cigarette
Bait - food
Marra = friend, especially, work mate
gizza = please, may I have
broon = brown
jalopy = car
da = father
ma = mother
worlass = wife

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Didn't realise you lived there.
We had a great holiday there. As birdwatchers and nature lovers we saw lots of things that are rare/don't exist down here.
We rented a beautiful wooden cabin. A bit in the middle of nowhere but we enjoyed it.

I do not live on Ardnamurchan but just across the water. Most days I could see it from my windows but today nothing is visible due to rain.

Jotheboat

Yes.

My father in law was a commercial fishermen all his days and had a great talent for model making.

I always loved that one, and the stories he could tell about her life and tribulations.

I since inherited it, and it still takes pride of place in my home.

Interesting for me because my friends live on a Scottish-built MFV (motor Fishing Vessel) in Sandwich Marina, Kent. In fact, they've lived on the same wooden boat for well over 50 years. Both mid 80s now. Your photo prompted me to phone them but there's no answer, I hope they're OK.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You're write, I'm rong.

R U shore

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I wonder if it refers to water striders and if the insult is to do with their seemingly random changes in direction

The only reference I ever found was that it meant a young person, maybe in the workplace, so with little experience of the job. But I've never heard anyone else use it.

Mind grandda also used to refer to players as being "illegible" when he meant "ineligible" :smile:

Gwylan

Veteran
Bristolians append an "L" to words ending in a vowel. eg "what a good ideal", or refer to a local pub, without irony, as the "Noval Scotial". Back in the day I've heard "Ford Cortinal" said in all seriousness"-

In South Wales, missing school was referred to as "mitching". Aa far as I know this only applied specifically to truanting, as opposed to missing work or skiving off anything else. Likewise in school to tell tales was to "splam on" someone. In Cardiff this was regarded with contempt, but in my junior school in Camarthernshire the kid used to tell tales on each other all the time.

+1 for mitching off in Cardiff
Need your daps for PE
Carrying clecs, telling tales or grassing up.

Slick

Guru
Interesting for me because my friends live on a Scottish-built MFV (motor Fishing Vessel) in Sandwich Marina, Kent. In fact, they've lived on the same wooden boat for well over 50 years. Both mid 80s now. Your photo prompted me to phone them but there's no answer, I hope they're OK.

Hopefully they are just out for the day. 🤞

Top Bottom