Colloquial local expressions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
749BC8F7-681C-4831-8741-C4C92344637C.png X

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Interesting for me because my friends live on a Scottish-built MFV (motor Fishing Vessel) in Sandwich Marina, Kent. In fact, they've lived on the same wooden boat for well over 50 years. Both mid 80s now. Your photo prompted me to phone them but there's no answer, I hope they're OK.

Not Ian and Jane by any chance?

When I was a teacher/technician at a Primary school just down the road
The Year 6 teacher always had a lot of problems getting local kids to write chimney without a B

They said - and therefore (in their minds) wrote it as "chimbley"

As we are close to Liverpool there are a lot of the general Scouse things
for example my wife is not capable of referring to a close relative without the word "our" in front of it
e.g. Saw Our John on Tesco
Naturally a lot of people shop at "The Asda"
and there is a shop called "Home and Bargain" - which is what it was originally called and still is round here

Nithered (LIncolnshire?) Cold, to the point of shivering

Mardy (West Yorkshire) sullen/sulky

Brussen (West Yorkshire) showing off, can also be used for (slightly) aggressive/in your face

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Nithered (LIncolnshire?) Cold, to the point of shivering

Mardy (West Yorkshire) sullen/sulky

Brussen (West Yorkshire) showing off, can also be used for (slightly) aggresive/in your face

I think Mardy is fairly universal, not just West Yorkshire. I've certainly heard it here in South Wales, and my family have always used it, and expected it to be understood anywhere (though my parents were from Lancashire, which isn't all that far from West Yorks).

Chris S

Legendary Member
I think Mardy is fairly universal, not just West Yorkshire. I've certainly heard it here in South Wales, and my family have always used it, and expected it to be understood anywhere (though my parents were from Lancashire, which isn't all that far from West Yorks).

A lot of Welsh miners migrated to Northern England in the late 19th century when the Welsh copper mining industry fell into decline.

Mburton1993

Über Member

Although I reckon mardarse rather than mardy for Greater Manchester.

Top Bottom