Colnago

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by woodbutcher, 23 Feb 2017.

Tags:
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Hello everyone,
    I know lm always asking silly questions but ca you explain what it is about Colnago bikes that rings everyones bell and are they worth the prices they attract ?

2. midlife

midlife Veteran

No bell ringing here.......

Shaun

mustang1, raleighnut and woodbutcher like this.
  3. zizou

zizou Veteran

Their heritage, the high end ones are still made in Italy, the paint jobs and how they ride and handle (although ive never owned a Colnago to verify this)

Are they worth the price premium? For me no but if i had a bigger budget then my opinion would be different :biggrin:

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Heritage.

CanucksTraveller and woodbutcher like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

I get you, but if not Colnago is there a bike or manufacturer that is deservedly head and shoulders above the rest in the vintage/classic bike world ?

6. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Yes "you pays your money and you makes your choice"

7. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

[QUOTE 4695591, member: 259"]For the steel bikes it's the beautiful tubing, the immaculate welding and brazing, and the athletic looks, as well as the often completely mad colours.[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough, combination of fine workmanship and aesthetics....hard to beat !

8. fossyant

I was going to buy one 27 years ago, but I was putting the new Dura Ace 8 speed on it, which is wrong, so I went to a local builder who used the same tubing as Colnago, and I spent the same amount.

woodbutcher likes this.
  9. midlife

midlife Veteran

Tricky as it's very subjective, after all it's just a set of steel tubes joined at the ends.....my Kevin Sayles bottom bracket in my avatar is a work of art :smile:.

BITD the frame makers made very tiny frames about a foot long to show off their wares and they all looked as "good" as what Colnago turned out. I'll have a google for an example.

Shaun

raleighnut and woodbutcher like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

True, and it is a lovely piece of hidden workmanship !

11. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

And lm guessing that you were just as happy, or perhaps not, l can't tell from your reply ?

12. midlife

midlife Veteran

Carlton Jewel

e949cf9ba8e45021fd74dff5b269b00c.jpg

Even lowly Carlton could turn out some classy work..

Shaun

NeilM, Nigel182, woodbutcher and 2 others like this.
  13. fossyant

Happier as the bike is a one off with custom paint. I just couldn't put Japanese parts on an Italian bike, and the new DA was better than Record.

raleighnut likes this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Maybe it's the same hype that surrounds Ferrari, not the fastest/best looking/reliable car in the world but strangely revered.
    For myself a bit of British engineering/construction does more and don't forget that when Enzo Ferrari himself was asked "What is the most beautiful car" he instantly said

"this"

01%20photoshopped_8873.jpg

woodbutcher likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

And l havn't checked the spoiler but l know it was the E-Type. It was beautiful , and fast and l have driven one from the 1960's can't remember the precise year but it scared the proverbial out of me, narrow wheel base,skinny tyres and bloody cable brakes ! Im not in the least unpatriotic l hope but my absolute favourite motorised transport is my Ducati 748s {it is two wheels after all}.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice