Colnago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Heritage.
Like raleigh then. And ford motor company. :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
25092011036.JPG
So, I could buy that Colnago bicycle for £10K

but then I could buy this........

View attachment 339333

For £7200

Yes I know that one is hand built and one is mass produced, but one has moving parts counted in hundreds (and that's being generous), and the other has thousands.

Disclaimer: I'm not a honda fan particularly. Just pulled it up for an example.

So, how can any bicycle be worth £10K when you can buy a very capable brand new motorcycle for considerably less?

Answering my own question.....
They make 'em because they can sell them, and that's our fault.
This is my classic bike (sorry, one of them) and you could find a decent one for £6,000

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
My last bike was a 996. Bought 2nd hand in 2007 for £4600, sold in 2014 for £4600 ^_^
Nice, what year was it ? like all the older Ducati bikes the prices are rising , l guess people are hoarding them for investment. I know that according to the DVLA there are only about seventeen 748s registered as on the road but there are over forty SORN 'd .in the UK.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Nice, what year was it ? like all the older Ducati bikes the prices are rising , l guess people are hoarding them for investment. I know that according to the DVLA there are only about seventeen 748s registered as on the road but there are over forty SORN 'd .in the UK.
It was a 2001, Biposto but with the SP single seat, and white number boards (Vinyl) front and rear.
Standard chip replaced with a piggyback item from a New Zealand tuning firm (name escapes me now).
Termignoni silencers (sic) of course.
Front 15T sprocket replaced with 14T to make the gearing sensible.
Oerlikon clutch slave cylinder so I could use the clutch for more than a 3 hour ride.
Blingy clutch with a vented cover.
That was all the bike I ever wanted.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
For me (and they do ring my bell) it's something not quite tangible, something beyond mere words and tubes and component parts. It's about the heritage, the history of what's been achieved on them, the riders that have been crowned on them - And it's that feeling when you see one, a feeling that isn't necessarily easily explained or logical.... something that a fan of say, a Spitfire or an E Type will understand I dare say.

Colnago_Master_Piu_18012014-1_2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It was a 2001, Biposto but with the SP single seat, and white number boards (Vinyl) front and rear.
Standard chip replaced with a piggyback item from a New Zealand tuning firm (name escapes me now).
Termignoni silencers (sic) of course.
Front 15T sprocket replaced with 14T to make the gearing sensible.
Oerlikon clutch slave cylinder so I could use the clutch for more than a 3 hour ride.
Blingy clutch with a vented cover.
That was all the bike I ever wanted.
I hate to have to break this to you but that bike has got to be worth between 10and 14 grand today and worth every penny . On the other hand any wonderfully designed and engineered vehicle is desirable l guess.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
For me (and they do ring my bell) it's something not quite tangible, something beyond mere words and tubes and component parts. It's about the heritage, the history of what's been achieved on them, the riders that have been crowned on them - And it's that feeling when you see one, a feeling that isn't necessarily easily explained or logical.... something that a fan of say, a Spitfire or an E Type will understand I dare say.

View attachment 339400
At last someone who isn't afraid to talk about the intangible attraction of the beauty of machines and their history . Three cheers !

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
At last someone who isn't afraid to talk about the intangible attraction of the beauty of machines and their history . Three cheers !

I'm just amazed that I seem to be in such a minority, on a cycling forum of all places. If there's anywhere that you'd expect an appreciation of the ethereal, je ne sais qoit of venerable cycle makes, it should be here.

It's like asking the same question about Lamborghini on say, pistonheads, and getting everyone going "just an engine and four tyres innit mate, dunno what the fuss is about".

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I hate to have to break this to you but that bike has got to be worth between 10and 14 grand today and worth every penny . On the other hand any wonderfully designed and engineered vehicle is desirable l guess.
That's a bit optimistic. Anywhere between 7 & 9K unless really low mileage, but yes - the fact they appreciating confirms they are modern classics. If I could find a mid 90's 900SS for sensible money I'd snap it up and restore it.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I'm just amazed that I seem to be in such a minority, on a cycling forum of all places. If there's anywhere that you'd expect an appreciation of the ethereal, je ne sais qoit of venerable cycle makes, it should be here.

It's like asking the same question about Lamborghini on say, pistonheads, and getting everyone going "just an engine and four tyres innit mate, dunno what the fuss is about".
Exactly, if you take the away the history, the story of the development of the bike through competition and trials and tribulations of running fairly exclusive companies what are you left with?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
That's a bit optimistic. Anywhere between 7 & 9K unless really low mileage, but yes - the fact they appreciating confirms they are modern classics. If I could find a mid 90's 900SS for sensible money I'd snap it up and restore it.
Ok yes l was getting a bit carried away but they ain't making anymore so the price of those that are left can only rise.

Top Bottom