Colnago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Maybe it's the same hype that surrounds Ferrari, not the fastest/best looking/reliable car in the world but strangely revered.
For myself a bit of British engineering/construction does more and don't forget that when Enzo Ferrari himself was asked "What is the most beautiful car" he instantly said

"this"

Although for me the 'C' type was much more purposeful,

View: https://youtu.be/OzofjlgWR1U

Maybe that has to do with my first 'E' type experience, changing the sparkplugs on the bosses V12 when I was the 'lad' at a garage.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And l havn't checked the spoiler but l know it was the E-Type. It was beautiful , and fast and l have driven one from the 1960's can't remember the precise year but it scared the proverbial out of me, narrow wheel base,skinny tyres and bloody cable brakes ! Im not in the least unpatriotic l hope but my absolute favourite motorised transport is my Ducati 748s {it is two wheels after all}.
The 'E' type had hydraulic disc brakes all round (in-board discs on the rear)

S-Express

If you buy into the whole Italian heritage thing, then fine. If you don't, then there are countless other frames which are every bit as good, if not better. As someone said earlier, at the end of the day, it's just some steel tubes stuck together...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you buy into the whole Italian heritage thing, then fine. If you don't, then there are countless other frames which are every bit as good, if not better. As someone said earlier, at the end of the day, it's just some steel tubes stuck together...

Or plastic, which I'm not so sure with.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
If you forget the Italian heritage thing for a moment, after all it is slightly subjective and certainly depends upon where you come from! You then have to consider the value of design and craftsmanship. To dismiss these as just some steel tubes stuck together is not just missing the point, it is not understanding the point. Which is when there is harmony between design and skill (achieved by years of dedication and talent) it is possible to make something greater than the sum of its parts . Only kidding!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is my most 'posh' bike,

DSCN0052.JPG

It's a Reynolds 653 frame, ultrashort wheelbase yet still very stable. Unfortunately I have no idea who built it (it doesn't even have a frame number)
I purchased it as a frame and the only other components fitted were the headset and seatpost which were both Campagnolo hence building the rest of it up with Campagnolo components (apart from the Roval wheels)

Spartak