Colnago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I'm just amazed that I seem to be in such a minority, on a cycling forum of all places. If there's anywhere that you'd expect an appreciation of the ethereal, je ne sais qoit of venerable cycle makes, it should be here.

It's like asking the same question about Lamborghini on say, pistonheads, and getting everyone going "just an engine and four tyres innit mate, dunno what the fuss is about".

I guess it depends on what "floats your boat" as they say. being a child of the 70's I have no affinity for Colnago. A quick memory scan reveals the only guy I remember riding them was an American called
George Mount.

As for Italian they were rare on the scene, at the Skol six I came across Viner (which I have) and at trade shows there was SABA ( which I dont) plus sundry other Italian makes. The Milk race threw up some Ciocc bikes but not sure where you would have bought them in 1978. ALAN popped up now and again. Speedwell Titanium were not Italian but rare.

So that left us wanting what the UK riders rode. If the OP had mentioned Aende then I would have agreed they have "something" (I have 3 pongo frames) , the same goes for Bob Jackson, Woodrup, Pennine, Ellis Briggs and names to numerous to menton.

What I would just like to mention the curve of Mercian forks, when I started forks just had a bit of a curve at the bottom like this...

52cm_Holdsworth_Reynolds_531_Vintage_Road_Racing_Frame_10.jpg

But Mercian started their fork rake high and was a joy to behold.

file.php?id=116407.jpg

Shaun

wonderdog

Although for me the 'C' type was much more purposeful,

View: https://youtu.be/OzofjlgWR1U

Maybe that has to do with my first 'E' type experience, changing the sparkplugs on the bosses V12 when I was the 'lad' at a garage.

I've had the pleasure of being a passenger in both a C and D type. The C's space frame and chassis construction a completely different ride to the D's monocoque (which morphed, with roadgoing compromises, into the E type). The common factor was the number of insects you had to get out of your teeth from grinning like a loon for the entire time you were moving.
As for the V12s ... try changing the plugs on the sedan ... quicker to hoik the engine out!

wonderdog

Nice, what year was it ? like all the older Ducati bikes the prices are rising , l guess people are hoarding them for investment. I know that according to the DVLA there are only about seventeen 748s registered as on the road but there are over forty SORN 'd .in the UK.
Astronomical prices for the bevel 750s and 900s. Had a 74 Sport ... sold it ... sob

Top Bottom