Comfiest road bike saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

My partner has just got a road bike. She has padded cycling leggings but is still finding the saddle that came with the bike rather uncomfortable. We're not going to be covering 100s of miles in one day so just something that will be nice and comfortable for a leisurely 20 - 40 mile ride every now and then.

Any suggestions would be great

Cheers

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Its trial and error with saddles. What suit one person can be agony for another.

The only way to comfort is through mileage. No matter what saddle she fits initially, she will feel pain.

Get some miles in first and then experiment with different saddles. No-one can tell you what saddle it will be, only the arse can tell.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My wife tried a few and settled on the Selle Italia Lady gel flow. She is wider in the seat / sit bones and during the research that saddle seemed to be liked by similarly built women. It is very personal though.
She's comfortably done 100km rides on hers, I don't think she managed 20km on the standard Giant saddle without discomfort.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My wife tried a few and settled on the Selle Italia Lady gel flow. She is wider in the seat / sit bones and during the research that saddle seemed to be liked by similarly built women. It is very personal though.
She's comfortably done 100km rides on hers, I don't think she managed 20km on the standard Giant saddle without discomfort.
Selle italia does get my vote. It suits me.

Mrs M

Guru
Saddle on my road bike was not for me.
Went to Edinburgh bikes and got my seat bones measured :ohmy:
Nothing to worry about! Just sat on a wee gel cushion and they took the measurement and recommended a suitable saddle accordingly.
Sure enough chose a saddle in recommended size and found to be perfect, very comfy :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I get on Ok with Bontrager ladies saddles, but everyone is different.

The Charge Ladle is fairly popular and cheap and easy to flog back on eBay if no good.

Key question is it a WSD bike (women specific design) with a WSD saddle or could she be on a rather narrow and man shaped ‘men’s’ saddle? :headshake:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Saddle on my road bike was not for me.
Went to Edinburgh bikes and got my seat bones measured :ohmy:
Nothing to worry about! Just sat on a wee gel cushion and they took the measurement and recommended a suitable saddle accordingly.
Sure enough chose a saddle in recommended size and found to be perfect, very comfy :smile:

I've not been measured, but trial and error indicates I prefer a wider saddle.

What it's made of doesn't really matter.

If the OP's partner can establish what size of saddle suits she may not have to worry too much after that.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find most saddles can be made comfortable for an hour or two.

You need to understand where she is hurting, and try and fix this through bike set up at first. Pain in the perineum is not the same as that in the inner thigh, and so on.

A sit down style can be hurtful too. So, look at sharing bodyweight between hands, feet and saddle.

Another vote for the Charge Ladle from this gal - have them fitted to all of my bikes.

Worth a punt as Charge saddles seem to suit a lot of bottoms generally, and if it doesn't suit, it's not an expensive mistake. Plus they seem to hold their resale value really well.

Gunk

Guru
Another vote for the Charge Ladle from this gal - have them fitted to all of my bikes.

Worth a punt as Charge saddles seem to suit a lot of bottoms generally, and if it doesn't suit, it's not an expensive mistake. Plus they seem to hold their resale value really well.

They’re also half the price of Selle Italia. I just picked up clean Charge Spoon for under £10 delivered.

Top Bottom