Comments About Asda's Cheap BSO (£35)!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
At least there was one person talking sense-
'If you get one of these, you will be put off cycling for life. If you are not sure whether it will suit you, purchase a decent second-hand bike from the local paper. You can then upgrade to a better one once you are sure that you will not be wasting your money.

These will weigh a tonne, fall apart on a bumpy road but will probably result in thighs like popeye due to the effort requird to propel this heap of junk forwards'.

Mark_Robson

I think that a lot of the people who buy these bikes are going to buy them on impulse because of the price. If that gets people cycling for a few miles on a sunny afternoon then that's great. I have seen lots of people riding cheap bikes and they manage perfectly well. If they encourage people to buy a better bike then that's got to be a result.

Maz

Guru
Mark_Robson said:
I think that a lot of the people who buy these bikes are going to buy them on impulse because of the price. If that gets people cycling for a few miles on a sunny afternoon then that's great. I have seen lots of people riding cheap bikes and they manage perfectly well. If they encourage people to buy a better bike then that's got to be a result.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
We're just informed snobs.

Let's just take into account the target market for these bikes.

Most people that will buy this bike are not serious cyclists. They'll get one because it's nice weather and ride it half dozen times with their kids in the park. It'll serve them for that purpose during our short summers.

The bike will then go in the shed until next year, when it'll have rusted and seized up. Then they'll buy another.

At £60-70, they can do this several times until the kids grow up and still be better off than those of us who spend £500+ on one bike.

porteous

Veteran
I suppose if one in fifty tries it and decides being out in the open travelling quietly is nice enough to want to find out more and take up cycling as a regular part of their lives it's worth it.

Top Bottom