Common Sense, & The Lack Of.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Yes but it would be interesting to know the actual figure although I suspect it would be difficult to actually get it together, as they are all volunteers you would also have to pull in data from every workplace they left.
When I used to visit Chivenor RMB I would drop in and see the 22SAR guys fairly regularly. They we're operating Sea Kings. The concensus of opinion there was that it cost roughly £3.00 per second to keep one in the air.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The threat of a big bill doesn't seem to put people off calling an ambulance in the states, and no one has yet managed to substantiate the claims it would put people off of calling for help here.

What it might then do is give some people the motivation not to behave like plums.
This wasn't what I was referring to above (I'll keep looking) but it's certainly an example.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...ance-too-expensive_n_5b3bda49e4b09e4a8b283583

Slightly off topic, but only slightly......

The last time we visited France, we pulled into a clifftop car park. Free parking, no facilities as it was on the outskirts of nowhere. A footpath ran along the clifftop, and at either end of the car park where the footpath began was a sign, saying in French English and German:

Keep to the path. Do not try to climb down the cliffs. If you fall, it is your fault.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Lilo family idiots ... :wacko: :banghead:

I'm not surprised, you just have to look around a typical high street to witness similarly mentally deficient individuals on a daily basis. I often wonder how some of these people manage to get out of the house each day without seriously injuring themselves!

The scariest part is that these same people are allowed behind the wheel of a car and we are sharing the roads with them...... :eek:
Ha - tell us about it! :laugh:

Just a couple of days ago I was riding along the A646 out of Todmorden towards Hebden Bridge. Oncoming traffic, stationary traffic about 50 metres in front of me, bollards in the centre of the road between me and the queue of traffic. I was coasting towards the queue and had taken a sensible position in the centre of my lane to stop any fool trying to overtake me, spotting the bollards at the last minute, and then swerving towards me. But then I heard a car racing up behind me and I just knew that the driver was about to go for the pointless overtake anyway. I stuck my right arm out with the palm of my hand facing back towards him and forced him to brake. I glanced over my shoulder and he was stuck there about 3 metres short of the bollards, looking totally confused!

To help you visualise the scene ... oncoming traffic as in the picture, stationary vehicles my side (closer than the red vehicle), I am where the arrow in the circle is, and the bonnet of the would-be overtaker would be just in view straddling the cross-hatched area in the centre of the road.

Idiot overtake.jpg

bruce1530

Guru
One H&S adviser the Uni has took on once advised a colleague that walking across a car park was dangerous and he should walk the perimeter....do one!

My favourite “H&S gone mad” story. It happened to a friend of a friend - which usually means the story is made up, but this one’s definitely true.

He needed access to a construction site. He was wearing cargo shorts.
He pulled on a hi-viz vest and a hard hat, and went to the gate.

“You can’t come in dressed like that. Health & safety”.
“Why not”
"You’re wearing trainers. Can’t let anyone in unless they’re wearing boots with toecaps”.
“Have you noticed that I’ve got 2 artificial legs?” He pointed down at the 2 metal rods poking out of his shorts, with trainers on the end.
“Can’t you put boots on them?”

swansonj

Guru
Yes but it would be interesting to know the actual figure although I suspect it would be difficult to actually get it together, as they are all volunteers you would also have to pull in data from every workplace they left.
SAR helicopters are paid professionals (Bristows under contract from the Coastguard).

I don't know if it's still true, but it used to be the case that the incremental cost of a SAR helicopter rescue was close to zero. The crews had a monthly allocation of flying hours, and hours spent on a rescue simply meant correspondingly fewer training hours.

gbb

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a celebrity having his own helicopter donkeys years ago...decades ago even, and seem to remember the cost per hour flying was £400...decades ago remember.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm not surprised, you just have to look around a typical high street to witness similarly mentally deficient individuals on a daily basis. I often wonder how some of these people manage to get out of the house each day without seriously injuring themselves!
The scariest part is that these same people are allowed behind the wheel of a car and we are sharing the roads with them...... :eek:

And they are entitled to the same number of votes as the rest of us!

Hicky

Guru
And they are entitled to the same number of votes as the rest of us!
They don’t vote more often than not but bitch about whoever is the current enemy of the people as deemed by whatever they’re reading, normally what Karen said on facey

Twits who get themselves in trouble through idiocy should indeed be invoiced for the cost of the rescue.
Hmmm, the whole ethos of rescue services in this country is based on the ethics of volunteering in a kind of, there but for the grace of God go I, kind of way.

Of course there's a cost but it's largely met from donations. I think what the public don't generally see though, is the level of organisation and expertise that rescue services have. I was lucky enough to be given a tour of a Snowdonia rescue centre, told of the equipment and training they have and do and the logistics of the rescue. For instance it takes around 30 people to bring a stretchered patient down a mountain. I was amusingly told that there's a bit of a race to get to the callout centre first, as the bags of equipment get heavier the later you get there, probably untrue but part of the ethos I imagine. Many of the volunteers will be highly experienced mountaineers, climbers and doctors and these people do it all voluntarily.

Top Bottom