Commuter killed this morning, Victoria Street, London (8th April) - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Location
Nottingham

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well that would get every public taxi driver off the road for starters.
Also most delivery drivers, and also all the busses.
Few things put 'the fear' into me when on my commute than the sight of a Tesco grocery home delivery van behind me.
 
OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Guru
Location
London
There was a plan to hold a vigil on Victoria Street tomorrow evening at 6pm but this has now been postponed (rather than cancelled, I believe) at the family's request to allow them more time to grieve. If it is rescheduled I will try to attend - a large presence will hopefully reinforce the message that this cannot be allowed to continue.
 

Nortones2

Legendary Member
That's (almost) one of the recommendations in this report: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/fr...gistics-and-cyclist-safety-summary-report.pdf

"Recommendation 1: HSE should extend the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) to include on-road collisions" (see Page 5).
The role of HSE in RTA was considered many years ago, when it had something like 1500 inspectors. It has now been intentionally degraded in resources. In contrast the police have 120,000 PC's. There is NO possibility of HSE taking on the responsibility or any role in relation to RTA's, which is properly the police to deal with. But, KSI's are not measured by the police as a management target. Therefore they do not give a shoot. BTW, I have been long time away from HSE so cannot give the latest policy line:smile:
 

400bhp

Legendary Member
There was a plan to hold a vigil on Victoria Street tomorrow evening at 6pm but this has now been postponed (rather than cancelled, I believe) at the family's request to allow them more time to grieve. If it is rescheduled I will try to attend - a large presence will hopefully reinforce the message that this cannot be allowed to continue.

What exactly can't be allowed to continue?
 
OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Guru
Location
London
What exactly can't be allowed to continue?

I thought someone would ask this! People dying on our roads - I don't want to get into a debate about blame, which is neither appropriate nor relevant, but I figured it could be implied that was what I was saying.

A vigil which generates coverage would hopefully bring the events to the attention of all road users. A good thing?
 

400bhp

Legendary Member
This might seem harsh and it's not meant to be.

People die.

You have to be very careful with such "gatherings". The aim should be to respect the death, not use it as a propaganda tool, certainly not at this stage without the family consent.

It's all very well to say "stop people dying", but it's all a bit bollox without substance.
 
OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Guru
Location
London
This might seem harsh and it's not meant to be.

People die.

You have to be very careful with such "gatherings". The aim should be to respect the death, not use it as a propaganda tool, certainly not at this stage without the family consent.

It's all very well to say "stop people dying", but it's all a bit bollox without substance.

Not taken as harsh. Of course people die, but sometimes people die young in situations which have a chance of being prevented. Assuming the family is OK with it (and it's worth adding the event was being promoted by British Cycling today - doesn't make it right or wrong, but that's pretty mainstream IMO) then I would go.

The substance comes from actually trying to do something about preventing unnecessary deaths on our roads. Even a 1% difference is better than nothing.
 
OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Guru
Location
London
Raising awareness - I have found that (in general) the campaigns by various organisations (including British Cycling, the All Party Cycling Group in Parliament, LCC etc.) have done a great deal to raise awareness of the issues facing cyclists in the capital, with the result that politicians and decision makers are giving increasing consideration to cyclists in their policy making. A vigil on Victoria Street (major traffic and pedestrian thoroughfare) would add to this increased awareness. Important, of course, that it is done properly.
 

dodd82

Guru
Don't want to come across as negative, because I think awareness would be a real help, but...

... I started commuting on my bike last summer. Before that point, I had absolutely no idea about cyclists - suitable driving patterns, the dangers cyclists face etc etc.

Not to say I was completely ignorant of the highway code and in general I think I drive with care.

But I hadn't come across any sort of campaign and there was no specific thought in my mind about cyclists.

From a straw poll of one, more needs to be done to raise awareness in my opinion. Ideas?

- Additions to the driving tests
- A considered message communicated to all drivers. All drivers renew VED don't they? Even the exempt ones have to go through the process (not sure)? Perfect opportunity to include promotional material on an annual basis.
- B2B communication around major cities. If the majority of drivers are driving to work, it would be good to think about how their employers could help in communication to employees.
- Perhaps an integrated campaign, targeted initially at incident hotspots throughout the UK. ATL and BTL promotion of the campaign.

The last suggestion would not be cheap, but it's just an example of what could be done. Something fun, creative yet serious would, I am sure, be easy for the sharp minds of the agency world to come up with.
 

jarlrmai

Guru
Sorry for the delay responding and thank you for the positive email. I have shown the driver a copy of the email as well as placing a copy on our notice board for all the driver to see and appreciate. Best Regards.
Stuart D Rawcliffe.

Acknowledgement from JB Rawcliffe good to see they let the truckers know we appreciate it.
 
Top Bottom