Commuting bike for semi rough terrain for around 500£

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
Wow.... more bikes to choose from.......

Vickster, I really like the revolution. I like everything, also the price.

Goggs, the cubes do indeed look better (just regarding the outer apperiance). The Cubes all got 4cm + tyres, right?
Aren't they a bit to thick? I really do not know.... I even do not know what my last bkes tyres width were, and now it is stolen... ....and in Germany.... probably lying at the bottom of a river.

Edit: What do you think about the suspension forks?

The Cube's come with appropriate tyres for their purpose, 4cm isn't a wide tyre, at least not for your intended purpose. As for suspension forks - I think they're more bother than they're worth to be honest. On the rare occasions I do hit gravel I tend to move my weight backwards so any benefit the suspension brings is largely negated. They do add a lot of weight though. I had front suspension on my previous bike (2010 Specialized Rockhopper Disc SL) and it was great when I was genuinely off-road but on-road (and despite have a lockout function) they just sapped power. It's very difficult to buy a bike these days without suspension of some sort, such are market forces. The one hi-tech thing I wouldn't be without, personally speaking, is hydraulic disc brakes. I think they're wonderful.

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Ok, thx.
Don't get me wrong, it is just a lack of knowledge on my side, so I wanted to be sure regarding the tyre's width.

I think I also agree on your comments on the suspension forks.

So it comes down to the fact that I like the cubes, but the have suspension forks. I really like the price and design of the revolution, but I do not know if th 20" version isn't a bit big for me.... would need to test drive but the next shop is to far away.

Well, I think I just go to my local bike dealers and see what they got on stock. Maybe I do not need to bother with the online buying process because I can test drive the bike of choice.

Last edited:

Goggs

Guru
A good LBS has it's value, in spite of probably higher initial purchase prices, but they're not all good. Some are absolutely awful in fact. As far as frame sizes are concerned it would be nice if there was a standard amongst manufacturers but sadly that's not the case. I'm 6'2" and bought a 58cm Cube but a 56cm might have been closer to ideal. Both fit though, with apporpriate adjustments.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like the revolution, why not just call one of the stores and get their advice on sizing. Should be pretty quiet at 4pm on a Tuesday...doesn't matter that they aren't local...

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Came home late yesterday. so I just wrote them an email. I measured myself, 177 cm tall, 78cm leg length. According to their chart it should be fine.

...but on the other hand I read that it is probably not the best idea to use the revolution off road to much, so this makes me prefer the cubes Goggs did post again. I think I will run the off road way back from work tomorrow to see how "off road" the way really is, I do not remember every part, as I did not really pay attention to the ground. But I think some parts are really off road.

Edit: I will need to store my bike outside.... Do you guys have some advice on theft protection and insurrance?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Came home late yesterday. so I just wrote them an email. I measured myself, 177 cm tall, 78cm leg length. According to their chart it should be fine.

...but on the other hand I read that it is probably not the best idea to use the revolution off road to much, so this makes me prefer the cubes Goggs did post again. I think I will run the off road way back from work tomorrow to see how "off road" the way really is, I do not remember every part, as I did not really pay attention to the ground. But I think some parts are really off road.

Edit: I will need to store my bike outside.... Do you guys have some advice on theft protection and insurance?

Adding to home insurance often the cheapest. There's a sticky on insurance in general cycling

Budget for two good locks (allow £100 approx)

Join British Cycling or similar for third party indemnity and legal cover (could cover the cost if buy a bike from Halfords or Chain Reaction, 10% discount for BC members). They also have some theft insurance options if wanting specific cycle cover

vickster

Legendary Member
Extra security, two protect the frame and both wheels

If outside on the street/ at home, I'd go with a top quality d lock for the rear and a heavy chain for the front. A thief would need different tools to deal with both. Avoid cables for high risk overnight locking

Suspension forks, not for me unless proper off road mountain bike and no road or path use. Especially heavy low end ones on a cheaper bike

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Yeah... I am also kind of in between because of the fork.... well, but overall it is only 300 quid and comes with hydraulic discs and (what looks to me like) decent tyres.

Anything else about this bike speaking against it? I really would like to keep the costs as low as possible, as I do not want to put an expensive bike outside all night.

The idea of combining two different types of locks is brilliant btw.

vickster

Legendary Member
£400 (and £300) is cheap for a bike with those components, hence the components will not be great quality, there is no mention of a lockout on the fork, an utter no no for me on a bike used on hard surfaces, bouncy, slow, energy sapping. Tektro hydraulic brakes have a poor rep

Tyres are not a reason to choose a bike, they are easy and often cheap to replace (they are a consumable). I think 40mm is overly fat for a bike used on the road, but personal preference and 14.5kg+ is heavy (thanks to the fork, discs, chunky tyres, basic alloy frame)

Up to you though :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Thanks!

.... and the worst thing is, what you say even makes sense :biggrin:

.... and I thought I found the one......

Top Bottom