Commuting bike for semi rough terrain for around 500£

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
decathlon are in France too!

Decathlon are everywhere.

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
In parallel, I am monitoring Gumtree in the London area to see if I can find something used around 400 quid. From time to time something pops up.

macp

Guru
I just started using my Spec Rockhopper MTB (mountain bike) to commute and realised just how good it is for commuting especially with some road tyres fitted. I will take canal towpaths on my way home sometimes. It just takes anything you can throw at it with superb disc brakes for powerful stopping.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It has just 3 gears. Is your riding fairly flat? I don't know if it's the case with that one, but fixing a puncture on a hub wheel can be difficult, may not be ideal if pressed for time on a commuter.
:eek: Three gears can be fine: top for flat/downhill, normal for uphill and low for serious uphill... and above 15%, I'm walking but may be doing that anyway. Fixing a puncture on a hub wheel isn't too hard and if pressed for time, remove the sharp object from the tyre and dump a sealant canister in. You can't do the current fad of swapping inner tubes as easily, but that's an expensive approach to punctures anyway.

12.5kg is pretty heavy for a simple bike.
I never had you pegged as a weight weenie!

Tyres are not a reason to choose a bike, they are easy and often cheap to replace (they are a consumable). I think 40mm is overly fat for a bike used on the road, but personal preference [...]
I think 37mm is a fairly common road-going tyre size (it's near enough that it was sold as the old 1⅜" as in 28x1⅝x1⅜" and 26x1⅜", as well as the c in 700c when 700 was the tyre diameter and c indicated the width) and some tyres listed as 40mm are closer to 37... and most such tyres are run closer to a comfortable 60psi than the filling-rattling 110psi used by many racier road bikes now... but ultimately, yes, tyres are relatively cheap and it's usually easy to vary tyre width by a few millimetres.

LetMeEatCake

Hmm - I think she's quoting the top tube as "22.5/23 inches". Assuming the geometry's the same as this year's Boardman Team, then size S would be 565 mm (22.2 inches), and size M would be 590 mm (23.2 inches). So could be either ... but it looks like a small in the photos.

vickster

Legendary Member
£1100 for an alu Boardman, v unlikely

If you do go and view, ask to see the receipt

Top Bottom