Commuting bike for semi rough terrain for around 500£

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotMe2

Regular
Good morning,

I am in the process of choosing a bike for commuting to work and after 3hours of studying the online shops and multiple comparisons, I have still no idea which one to buy.

My way to work is not very long, it is between 5 and 6km, and I can choose between two routes. One is off road most of the time and along a canal which I heavily enjoy. Nice landscape and nearly no people, but the way itself is very uneven so I suggest that a CX might be the best choice for me.
The other route is plain street, but it has a lot of car traffic on the way, I prefer the first route, later I might want to alternate between the two.

For me it looks like a CX would be the best choice for me, but I have no idea which one I should take. I do not want to spend to much money on it, as I said in the title, around 500£ would be ok for me. If it really pays out, I would go slightly higher.

I would really appreciate some suggestions,

Thanks guys,

NotMe2

Edit: I nearly forgot, the bike should have some mudguards or the possibility to mount them.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A CX is the fashionable choice but any bike with reasonably wide tyres (32mm+ IMO) should be OK over uneven ground if you're careful with tyres (nothing too stiff, keep the pressure on the soft end of high enough to avoid pinch-flats/snakebites). I've ridden my folding bike (40mm tyres I think) along canal towpaths without problem, although it won't set any speed records. I'd generally prefer one of my three-speeds, though.

Sorry, I've just widened your choice, haven't I? :smile:

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Hahaha, yes you did, but that's ok.

The problem is, I have literally no knowledge about bicycles, so I cannot even follow your recommendation not to choose too stiff tyres as I have no idea which one is stiff and which one is not :biggrin:

Any advice on specific bikes?

mjr

The problem is, I have literally no knowledge about bicycles, so I cannot even follow your recommendation not to choose too stiff tyres as I have no idea which one is stiff and which one is not :biggrin:
Tyre reviews will usually talk about nice ones being "supple", "plush" and things like that. I'm sure there's a website somewhere which tries to quantify the bounciness of tyres but I can't find it right now. You'll know if you get a tough one because your teeth will rattle even at near-minimum pressures!

Test ride whatever bikes you reasonably can and see what you like. Bonus if you can ride over some little rough bits. I'd be firmly in the Gazelle Van Stael sort of camp but you might hate that and I know nothing about CX bikes which you might like more.

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Thanks Crackle, I already had that on my radar. Good thing is, halfords sells them and I got a store here in Newbury in 5 min walking distance from my home.

I also took a look at the Voodo Limba CX
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/voodoo-limba-cyclocross-road-bike

It is really cheap, what would you guys think about that one regarding the quality of the parts and the expected durability of those?

Thanks mjr.
You are absolutely right. Testriding would solve a lot of questions. I hope for some suggestions regarding specific bikes here so that I can testride them and espacially, I hope for the experienced users to give some comments about the parts they used on that bikes. I do not want to buy stuff which will break in half a year or which will never really work, and as I mentioned, I have no knowledge at all in this area.

mjr

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/voodoo-limba-cyclocross-road-bike

It is really cheap, what would you guys think about that one regarding the quality of the parts and the expected durability of those?
OK, looking through the spec list of this and the Boardman CX Comp:
Frames: both 7005 aluminium alloy which is cheaper but heavier than 6061 - I'm still wary of aluminium because of the different fatigue properties but I'm a retrogrouch.
Forks: both chromoloy?
Front gears: 50/34 FSA with a FD-2400 on the Voodoo, 50/34 FSA with Sora on the Boardman.
Rear gears: 8-speed 11-30 on the Voodoo is usually considered slightly worse than the 9-speed 11-30 on the Boardman. Similarly Claris mech on the Voodoo compared to Sora on the Boardman.
Bottom bracket: both FSA square-taper cartridges
Brakes: Tektro Myra mechanical discs on the Voodoo, Tektro Lyra mechanical discs on the Boardman. Both seem to get flamed online and I don't know mechanical disc brakes (rim or hub brakes have always stopped me OK) so I've no idea which is considered better - anyone?
Tyres: Kenda K-934 700x35c on the Voodoo (OK but I suspect not great), Schwalbe Tyrago on the Boardman (which I don't know but Schwalbe are usually better than Kenda recently).

So they seem pretty close in specifications to me, with the Boardman having slightly better component choices - not sure it's £120 better but it would cost more than that to replace the Voodoo's bits with the ones on the Boardman. Nothing stand-out outrageously bad in either IMO, if that's the style you want. It may be that they are different "shapes" somehow and you feel more comfortable on one than the other.

OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Thx again for taking the time to compare the single parts. Looks to me like I would prefer the cheaper one.

But to further complicate things, I just figured out that I really would prefer a flat handlebar to be honest. I drove flat ones all my life....

But somehow I do not find any CX with a flat bar :sad:

mjr

There's not such consensus on the naming, but you might find them called "gravel", "path" or "dirt track" bikes.

I don't know if competition CX bikes have to have drop handlebars and so they all do.

Flat bars are harder on the wrists and hand for any sort of distance, in my opinion. I've replaced all but one of mine with swept bars that offer a variety of holds except for the one drop-barred bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thx again for taking the time to compare the single parts. Looks to me like I would prefer the cheaper one.

But to further complicate things, I just figured out that I really would prefer a flat handlebar to be honest. I drove flat ones all my life....

Look at the Boardman hybrids sold by halfords if you prefer flatbars. Or the 13 models. Budget for some ergo grips with bar ends for comfort And more hardy tyres if needed

If you join British cycling for £35 s year, you'll save 10% off everything at halfords and get important IMO benefits of 3rd party indemnity and legal cover :smile:

The saving on a bike like this will more than cover the membership cost

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike

Or http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165534&productId=1112511&storeId=10001

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NotMe2

Regular
Thanks again guys for all your good advices.

I thought about hybrids before but found them being kind of bashed on the internet. Like "The only thing which can do both, street and offroad is a CX , don't let the industry fool you with those crappy hybrids".

At the end it is just a name, isn't it?

I feel like we are getting closer.
There's not such consensus on the naming, but you might find them called "gravel", "path" or "dirt track" bikes.

Yes, sounds good. Do you (or anyone else) have a particular bike in mind?

In another similar thread I found this one during my research,. Initially this one was sold for 600, now it is 350, looks good to me. What do you guys think? Is it more on the "road bike" side of the hybrids?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Charge-Grater-1-2016-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_83284.htm

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom