Commuting Cameron caught!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting that this makes the news!

According to another poster (Cameron / Conway thread) 84 of the 635 MPs have been caught drink- driving in the previous year!

Is it because MPs drink-driving is common place enough NOT to be newsworthy, but a cycling MP is?

Evilcat

Cunobelin said:
According to another poster (Cameron / Conway thread) 84 of the 635 MPs have been caught drink- driving in the previous year!
Oh really?

EC

Cunobelin said:

Is it because MPs drink-driving is common place enough NOT to be newsworthy, but a cycling MP is?

84 of the 635 MPs have been caught drink- driving in the previous year????
Utter rubbish. BTW there are 646 MPs in UK parliament – don’t believe everything you read on the web
The original made up story this statistic comes from is here -

http://www.rogerdarlington.me.uk/nighthawk/2007/03/the_rise_and_rise_of_the_urban.html

Evilcat

TwickenhamCyclist said:
beat me to it evil cat:ohmy:

:angry: One would think that most people know to check such obviously nonsensical, unattributed rubbish with Snopes etc. Unfortunately they don't.

OT, but I used to be responsible for IT (must have been paying for sins in a previous life) at a big new media agency. Our job was to understand the web and electronic communications, and every week some idiot who should have known better would be circulating the latest email about the government, warning from the police, or information about a mass murderer who had taken to loitering in the nearest Tesco car park. And it was all rubbish. Grrr.

EC

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'm with Arch on the 'overall opinion of cyclists' point.
Cameron's riding is the perfect display of almost every drivers view
of cyclists as petty law breaking irritants that shouldn't be allowed on the roads if they wish to be above the law.

I've never been of the mind to RLJ, I came to bicycles straight from motorbikes and I simply have a built in reaction to slow down and stop at red lights.(I know, it's so old fashioned and cute I could just weep.)
I don't meet many one way streets in my travels, but when I do I find a route around them or dismount.

It's not that hard to do these things and try to bring about some balance to the status quo from where the cyclist could hold a little more moral high ground when it comes to the arguments of the motorist.

Maz

Guru
Big deal...he's apologised for his mistakes. Today's paper will be tomorrow's fish n chips wrapper.

What about the cyclist doing the filming? S/he was just as bad [worse if you include going the wrong side of that RAB @10sec]

The BBC "Have your Say" comments were getting on my wick. Then I realised that the people making the usual b*llshit comments about road tax etc. probably haven't rode a bike since they were kids.

My answer to anyone who rants about cyclists breaking traffic law is "try cycling to work for a week, and we'll see how law-abiding you are by the end of it".

girofan

Cameron Caught on Camera

Has the green Tory done damage to our cause?
With negative stories on cycling appearing everyday in the press written by smart-alecs such as Parris, David Cameron has been caught on camera breaking at least four traffic laws. Riding up a one-way street in the wrong direction and failing to obey traffic signals!!!
He claims to be one of the environmentalists and cyclists supporters? Width friends like this who needs enemies?
Even Boris Johnson has failed to lend support to the beleagured head of his party, stating that road users should obey the rules and that includes all cyclists.
God save us from trendy politicians, they, in the long run, do us more harm than good. Now every columnist with an axe to grind against us in this weekends papers will have more amunition to fire.
Thanks David, you prat!

girofan said:
Has the green Tory done damage to our cause?
With negative stories on cycling appearing everyday in the press written by smart-alecs such as Parris, David Cameron has been caught on camera breaking at least four traffic laws. Riding up a one-way street in the wrong direction and failing to obey traffic signals!!!
He claims to be one of the environmentalists and cyclists supporters? Width friends like this who needs enemies?
Even Boris Johnson has failed to lend support to the beleagured head of his party, stating that road users should obey the rules and that includes all cyclists.
God save us from trendy politicians, they, in the long run, do us more harm than good. Now every columnist with an axe to grind against us in this weekends papers will have more amunition to fire.
Thanks David, you prat!

I wonder how many of us would survive a full Daily Mirror undercover operation. :angry:

civ

Horace Goes Skiing said:
The BBC "Have your Say" comments were getting on my wick. Then I realised that the people making the usual b*llshit comments about road tax etc. probably haven't rode a bike since they were kids.

My answer to anyone who rants about cyclists breaking traffic law is "try cycling to work for a week, and we'll see how law-abiding you are by the end of it".

A topic like this is naturally going to bring out those type of people, the silent majority of people who are perfectly accepting of cyclists has no reason to comment.

I just laugh at them, "Cyclists should pay road tax, but stay off the roads" is a pretty amusing argument.

The internet tough guys might not be so quick to threaten cyclists if there was a case where a driver was charged due to posting "I would run over a cyclist if he was in front of me" and was then involved in such a collision.

bonj2

Until i see concrete evidence about this, i.e. a youtube clip CLEARLY showing Dave Cameron cycling the wrong way down a one way street, or RLJing, then I refuse to believe this one bit. He probably doesn't even cycle at all that regularly, just every now and then for photoshoots.
I know exactly what it'll be, somebody 'll have produced a grainy picture of the back of somebody's head that MIGHT be him. Just like that thing with 'Clarkson' on his mobile the other day.

girofan

bonj said:
Until i see concrete evidence about this, i.e. a youtube clip CLEARLY showing Dave Cameron cycling the wrong way down a one way street, or RLJing, then I refuse to believe this one bit. He probably doesn't even cycle at all that regularly, just every now and then for photoshoots.
I know exactly what it'll be, somebody 'll have produced a grainy picture of the back of somebody's head that MIGHT be him. Just like that thing with 'Clarkson' on his mobile the other day.

:tongue: See it on the news tonight and believe!
Really bonj, you're not one of those apologists for the political class are you?:ohmy: Come in redcogs, come in redcogs, come in redcogs!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

bonj said:

I take it you're a bit cynical over those Daily Mirror war atrocity photos that were faked in Droitwich. :tongue:

Top Bottom