Commuting Cameron caught!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

civ

From BBC have your say:

I think that they should not be allowed on the road.
Perhaps if there were more traffic police officers on duty and less cameras cyclists disgraceful behaviour would not go unpunished

andrew ross, cobham,surrey

Not 100% sure I can see the connection between less cameras and catching law breaking cyclists - now, the connection between less cameras and stopping Andrew Ross from Surrey getting a speeding ticket... :tongue:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Horace Goes Skiing said:
My answer to anyone who rants about cyclists breaking traffic law is "try cycling to work for a week, and we'll see how law-abiding you are by the end of it".

It's not exactly hard to avoid doing the sort of thing David Cameron was purportedly doing. It's not rocket science you know.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Horace Goes Skiing said:
My answer to anyone who rants about cyclists breaking traffic law is "try cycling to work for a week, and we'll see how law-abiding you are by the end of it".

Well I have been cycle commuting for 14 years and I get p*ss*d off at cyclists who think the law doesn't apply to them:angry:

Whoa. Please let me be clear that I don't condone law-breaking.

I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of drivers who rant about cyclists running lights etc. The amount of law-breaking by drivers of all types is staggering - any forum on speed cameras, for example, is quicky swamped with drivers vehemently defending their right to go too bloody fast because it suits them. They're all excuses when it's their convenience at stake.

Put these buggers on a bike and I guarantee they will be just as selfish and "F the lot of you" as they are in any other kind of vehicle.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
From the footage on the TV news it looks like what we deifiuned many moons ago on C+ as 'Red Light Creep' RLC. This is different to RLJ. RLC is simply moving over the line to a position in front of traffic to allow a few extra seconds to get going. Whereas RLJ is crossing the junction to gain time advantage. Cameron does not jump the junction, just gets in front of the cars at the line for a better get-away. Like creating your own ASL. It's not necessary to RLC to be safe however (see roadcraft), but I'm not so beligerant about the occasional RLC as I am full-on RLJ'ing.

HOWEVER, some of his other misdemeanours...going the wrong side of a traffic bollard are absolutely unforgivable FFS.

Maz

Guru
You wait and see...on the next BBC Question Time, when they take the last light-hearted question from the audience...guess what the subject will be?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Maz said:
You wait and see...on the next BBC Question Time, when they take the last light-hearted question from the audience...guess what the subject will be?
:tongue:
ITV 'News' just had to ask....yawn..."And why weren't you wearing a helmet Mr Cameron"...
Oh deep joy...

zimzum42 said:
drivers complaining about cyclists, why do you give a shoot?

people complain about everything in this place, it's like water off a duck's back, just ride away and leave them sitting in traffic.......

Because one used his car against me the other day and could have caused me to have an accident.

Horace Goes Skiing said:
Whoa. Please let me be clear that I don't condone law-breaking.

I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of drivers who rant about cyclists running lights etc. The amount of law-breaking by drivers of all types is staggering - any forum on speed cameras, for example, is quicky swamped with drivers vehemently defending their right to go too bloody fast because it suits them. They're all excuses when it's their convenience at stake.

Put these buggers on a bike and I guarantee they will be just as selfish and "F the lot of you" as they are in any other kind of vehicle.

I don't really care what motorists think about me not paying road tax and insurance anymore.Heard it all before over and over.They always bring it up and the RLJ thing and all the other crap I have heard before.

When im out there I like showing motorists I am applying the rules of the road.If they break road rules (and they usually do) then that's their look out.

Molecule Man

I've just watched the BBC video, looks like he was bang to rights with the one-way street.
However, the apparently blatant RLJing is on a shared-use ped/cycle crossing at Hyde Park Corner. I bet most of the swivel-eyed anti-cycling brigade on 'Have Your Say' have probably crossed a road against the red man at a pedestrian crossing a few times.
As for the keep left bollard, that looks like turning right off The Mall onto Horseguards Parade. It's a while since I've been that way, but I've a feeling that most motorists would take exactly the same line through that junction that DC does. Does the keep left thing really apply to right turning traffic anyway?

Arch

Married to Night Train
crossing one of those ambiguous ped/cycle crossings on red.

On the last point, is this RLJing? Do those crossings carry the same weight as traffic lights on the road?

I'd assume it depends on what lights are at the crossing. Here in York I know of one Toucan crossing that has a red light specifically for bikes (IE Bike shaped) as well as green and red men, but I also know of one that has a red and green man for peds, but only a green cycle light, which goes green with the ped phase - so there is no specific red cycle light. My assumption is that if there is a red light specifically for cyclists, you must stop, but that if there is only green or nothing, you can go on a red man, because the red man is not an order, only a suggestion. If I'm wrong on that, and it is only an instinct, I'm perfectly happy to revert to the road at that point and wait at the red traffic light instead.

As for Cameron owning up and saying sorry, I seem to remember this isn't the first time he's been involved in something like this. You really would hope he'd learn a lesson. As it is, I expect his apology is merely crocodile tears.

Top Bottom