Commuting cycling dissertation, please read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neil Wickham

Hello

I 'm conducting a survey as part of my Masters research dissertation at Leeds University. the dissertation is titled 'Modelling the route choice behaviour of cyclists' and basically aims to gather info in order to identify and improve the current road networks for cycle friendly use.

I would greatly appreciate you would take the time to follow the web link below and complete the survey (or pass it onto anyone else!!) so I can begin to build up a sample population.The survey should only take 5 minutes and all data collected will be held anonymously and securely and no personal data is retained. You can withdraw from the survey at any time by closing the window.

Please note that the survey is only for commuting cyclists i.e. those who cycle as a means to get to work or university.

Ideally I hope to get a response from at least 100 people, but the more I get the more useful the results will be. . The survey will close on 20/04/14 although earlier responses are preferable. Thank you in advance.

https://www.survey.leeds.ac.uk/neilwickham

I gave up at the point that the survey asked which area of Leeds I live in. Do everyone a favour and edit your post to mention that this survey is for the exclusive use of Leeds residents.

A practical suggestion and a nice way of doing research

Get a flip chart and a couple of large maps of Leeds, then spend a few hours in the City Centre talking to cyclists

Ask them to draw their route in one colour on one chart and the route they would "like" to use on the other. These "desire lines" show what cyclists want as a network

You can also use the opportunity to talk to the cyclists and gain a lot of qualitative data that can be used to justify the routes on the maps. If you can also get a couple of friends to help and you could get all your questions answered in more depth than on line or impersonal questions will do.

Gives a massive amount of data on cycling and cyclists ... of course then all you need to do is process it!!!!!!

We did this in Gosport a few years ago for the Cycle Strategy and it showed whole areas that were never even considered and some nice easy answers. We cut the commute time to one Naval Base by changing a little used footpath to a shared use path that cut off almost a mile and two busy roundabouts.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As a Leeds cyclist (who doesn't live in Leeds) why not try the cycling networks in Leeds already?

Even better, if you've not already, the cyclists network which currently exists within Leeds University. You'll find the contact at Velocampus.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What an extraordinary coincindence! There's a new forum member called @owlclawjones who's also completing a Masters dissertation at Leeds University. Are you two related, perhance? :thumbsup:

sabian92

Über Member
Bah, proper irritates me when people sign up, dump their questionnaire for their dissertation and bugger off. Every Feb-April is the same on forums.

A motorbike forum I'm on actively discourages it by spamming the questionnaire with ridiculous answers :laugh:

Bah, proper irritates me when people sign up, dump their questionnaire for their dissertation and bugger off. Every Feb-April is the same on forums.

A motorbike forum I'm on actively discourages it by spamming the questionnaire with ridiculous answers :laugh:
Innit though.

Top Bottom