Commuting in 0 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
we have some cold weather coming in.

It looks like dry but cold weather but am anxious about ice especially in cycle paths etc and it's not like I am going to see anything.

Would you cycle in 0 degrees for 17 miles?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a chance, too dangerous...and cold:cold:
The path in a local park was still frosty when I rode through it at 2 today. Would have been treacherous at 7am. I personally don't want any broken bones this year!

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
8.5 miles each way, yes. 17 miles one way, no.

Wrap up warm, stick where possible to the roads known to be gritted by the Council and use the front brake sparingly. There's no shame in getting off & walking if necessary.

I'm bottling it :shy: I need to fix a rear p'ture, the path is flooded at one bit and closed at another; turning a 13 miles commute into a 17 miles commute with a 30-45min drive. I might also have to carry a laptop.:shy: I have cycled it in the past at just below freezing as its a gritted path and it nearly flat and straight but its the exception to the rule.

avsd

Guru
No. If there is frost on the car window screen I don't cycle. My commute is riverside towpath. Not commute and prone to ice as there is a lot of shade.

we have some cold weather coming in.

It looks like dry but cold weather but am anxious about ice especially in cycle paths etc and it's not like I am going to see anything.

Would you cycle in 0 degrees for 17 miles?

I've done it many times here. If the roads are dry, then I find it's fine, just wrap up warm. I appreciate that's big 'if' in the UK: here we have hard dry winters.

If there's a chance of ice then I use my bike with snow spikes.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Yes, but I’m ‘lucky’ that once I’m out of my own road most of my 11 mile commute is on well travelled A roads and bus lanes. I don’t usually wear shorts in single figure temperatures.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I try to stick to the roads when it is icy, but there is a short section through a park that I will take at a very slow speed, especially on the corners. I have a nice thick beanie so I will be fine.

Top Bottom