Commuting in the dark, I think I prefer it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Mm, not sure. I certainly don't mind the dark and I know what you mean by can seem shorter, but I'm looking forward to all light commuting.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally I enjoy it, at least in the mornings. Journey home, not so much, mainly because of the additional traffic and the number of dicks on the road. Having said that, motorists seem to be able to see one stationary and one flashing light better. ^_^
There is something about dark/night riding which tingles my senses. - (Commute is 17.5 miles ranging from rural to just off the centre of Manchester). But leaving home at 5.20am, my window of pleasure is a little longer.:laugh:
BTW Mrs B thinks I am a few slices short of a loaf in enjoying the dark.

Lonestar

Veteran
As the mornings are starting to get lighter, I've come to the conclusion on my commute ( 14 miles of small town and semi rural lanes ) I actually prefer riding in the dark. I've got good lights and the journey always seems a little shorter when dark. Anyone else ???

Yes definitely.I do many commutes in the dark due to many of my turns requiring me to leave at either 0300/0330/0400 or 0430.Of course I get the later "rush hour" commutes also.

Also on a side note, tonight.Cyclist dressed all in black and me being a tired pedestrian crossing I noticed even though the cyclist had one flashing front light he was easy to pick out.The one behind him had hi-viz and a weak front light and I was trying to work out how visible he was.I always have one flashing and one steady front...Same on rear.

Last edited:
The majority of my commutes are in the dark. It’s only about 6 weeks of the year when at least part of the commutes aren’t in the dark. I much prefer dark commutes.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I find cycling in the dark quite magical... One of the reasons why I enjoy FNRttC rides (or at least the few ive been on) and the Dunwich Dynamo so much.

I cant explain it. Zooming down a hill in the dead of night, feeling the cold air rush past my face and the erie sounds of the night are oddly calming.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Every single bike commute I've done since the move to Southampton has been faster on the return. And every single bike commute home in my life has been in the dark.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Almost every shift I work is until 9pm so I go in during the day but get to ride home at night. I much prefer the night ride and that's when I do most of my recreational riding as well (little one goes to bed and I go out riding, with her papa home of course). It is more soothing to me, less traffic and noise and I love the briskness and solitude.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's ok, but not being able to see the potholes is very hazardous around here! The roads are quieter after 8pm but hardly empty

eagles633

I find cycling in the dark quite magical... One of the reasons why I enjoy FNRttC rides (or at least the few ive been on) and the Dunwich Dynamo so much.

I cant explain it. Zooming down a hill in the dead of night, feeling the cold air rush past my face and the erie sounds of the night are oddly calming.
kinky

hoopdriver

Guru
Almost every shift I work is until 9pm so I go in during the day but get to ride home at night. I much prefer the night ride and that's when I do most of my recreational riding as well (little one goes to bed and I go out riding, with her papa home of course). It is more soothing to me, less traffic and noise and I love the briskness and solitude.
I have always been very much an early morning person and typically go out for my rides at 4:30 am - thirty miles or so, back for breakfast around 6:30. This means that for quite a few months I ride entirely or partially in the dark. I quite like it - I have an excellent headlamp and really enjoy spinning along the little lanes through the marshes with the stars twinkling overhead and moonlight bathing the landscape. It's quite magical. But then when spring segues into summer and the sun rises at 4:30 - as it does here at latitude 51N - and I am riding in the low angled sunshine of dawn, I enjoy that as well.

Top Bottom