Commuting in the dark, I think I prefer it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This doesn't help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43525525

I am finding both driving and cycling at night harder and harder because of this. I am glad it isn't just me.

Yup, both HIDs and LEDs are just too frikkin' bright. OK to drive WITH, not INTO. I also have found, on my last two cars, that HID beams don't actually show the road surface as well as a halogen light, something to do with the blueness of the colour, I think.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
This doesn't help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43525525

I am finding both driving and cycling at night harder and harder because of this. I am glad it isn't just me.

Must admit, other than dickheads on an unlit road I travel as part of my commute, as a cyclist I have had less of a problem with this than as a motorist.

Edit, although I am glad the EU are looking into this problem as it has got far worse. But with Brexit.....

Randombiker9

I never ridden when it's fully dark but when it's dusk. That's when i seem to get more close passes. So i would probs think it's worse when it's dark.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I never ridden when it's fully dark but when it's dusk. That's when i seem to get more close passes. So i would probs think it's worse when it's dark.

Dusk is probably the worst time for light levels and if it coincides with rush hour, there probably will be more close passes, tbh at night I'm lit up like a Xmas tree and get far less worrying moments in the dark.

clf

Night riding is my favourite, I'll often go out around midnight into the Cheshire lanes, commuting it makes no odds to me, dark or light.

Tom B

Guru
Me too. Im quite fortunate in that I have shifts that start as early as 0600 and end as late as 0100. I love riding in the early hours. Then again I love the dark. I think you can see soo much more!
Its probably because I am a miserable antisocial git who likes having the roads/tracks to myself.

Taking the direct route after midnight I can often cycle the 6 miles without seeing a car.

Sadly whilst being a night owl, I hate getting up before 0900. So despite all good intentions of getting up at 0400, feeding the baby and going out cycling before work, it never happens.

Top Bottom