Commuting in the dark, I think I prefer it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Darkness itself is great, but I often
link the dark to winter commuting which becomes a chore by February. Its the cold and damp roads and having to take extra caution. March and April tend to be the best months as you know the worst is behind you and there are several nice months ahead.

simongt

Guru
I think it's the sense of solitude and peace with the surroundings, before the rest of the world stirs, it's like being wrapped in a big dark duvet.
Definitely agree with this; as I works shifts, every other week, I commute the twelve miles home after 23.00h. It's just so peaceful for the rural section, :thumbsup: then not so bad through the last city bit.

Crankarm

Guru
As the mornings are starting to get lighter, I've come to the conclusion on my commute ( 14 miles of small town and semi rural lanes ) I actually prefer riding in the dark. I've got good lights and the journey always seems a little shorter when dark. Anyone else ???

Are you a vampire?

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
vampirecyclicst (1).jpg

C R

Guru
I have always preferred commuting in the dark. I feel much safer as I'm far more visible.
I can agree with that on a logical level, but I still find it quite stressful riding in the dark in traffic.

humboldt

Not a huge fan of busy roads in the dark. However taking back roads through residential areas is very relaxing sometimes. There's something about cruising down a tree-lined street where the street lights are wrapped in leaves and giving out a soft greenish glow that feels amazing in early autumn, especially if it's just you on the road and nobody's rat-running past you. I used to divert through Walthamstow Village for this reason even though it was technically slightly longer to get home most of the time (I think the 'mini-Holland' scheme actually made it quicker and easier though).

Sixmile

Veteran
I really love riding in the dark too, the country roads especially. I'd agree with feeling more visible too as the lights and reflectives really come into their own. I'd also agree with feeling fed up with the cold and dark by the end of January/start of February and just longing for the tide to turn. As it is, it's brighter now but certainly no drier or warmer than mid winter.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Much prefer the dark but I only ride mainly on cycle tracks so haven't got so much pothole fear as roadies or people unlucky enough to have to cycle in London.
And my lights turn dark into light.

Top Bottom