Commuting in the dark of night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
What I fail to understand is the logic of a front flashing light? I've seen loads of cyclists in the last week with a front flasher but I don't get it?

At night it makes no sense, except if your battery is on its last legs and you are eking out the last bit of light to get you home. I have done this, but it's pretty bizarre, like cycling at a Pink Floyd concert in 1968 but without tbe acid.

In bright or dappled sunlight, it makes a lot of sense. A couple of years ago I was driving my car on a bright summer's day. Long hill upwards, overhanging trees, light and shade. I was driving quite 'enthusiastically' until I saw a bright flashing light ahead under the trees. I slowed down, and there were two cyclists riding towards me. I was quite shocked, because I think I am quite an observant driver and I didn't see them at all - they were literally invisible in the shadows under the trees. Since then, I have always had a forward-facing flashing light if the sun is bright. I have a feeling it may also deter the impatient overtaker coming towards you. Obviously, in daylight there is no danger of dazzling anyone - it's just a 'here I am'.

Drago

Legendary Member
There is no danger of dazzling anyone, but there is a danger of the light breaking up your visible silhouette, thus depriving the observers brain of the visual datum required to accurately calculate your speed - this makes T bone type scenarios much more likely. This was discovered in the 80's by Suzuki. The matter was further researched by Honda, who at the time owned a major searchlight manufacturer so had world class optics expertise to call upon, and they discovered the same phenomenon. And having discovered this the EU ignore it completely and also mandate DRL set ups for motorbikes.

The safest day time set up for a 2 wheeler is 3 low output lights arranged in a triangle, such as BMW fit to some models. In the event that your visual signature is obscured the observer can still calculate speed by the rate at which the triangle 'grows' as it approaches. Simply slapping a regular bright bike light in the middle of your bars serves only to potentially mitigate one risk at the expense of exposing you to a different one.

Next time you're riding towards a motorbike running lights during the day you'll see this phenomenon for yourself if you're paying attention.

Every action has a consequence, even things supposedly done in the name of safety. Slapping up daytime lights and blithely thinking it makes you safer actually makes you more likely to get yourself into trouble - think about the downsides as well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There is no danger of dazzling anyone, but there is a danger of the light breaking up your visible silhouette, thus depriving the observers brain of the visual datum required to accurately calculate your speed - this makes T bone type scenarios much more likely. This was discovered in the 80's by Suzuki. The matter was further researched by Honda, who at the time owned a major searchlight manufacturer so had world class optics expertise to call upon, and they discovered the same phenomenon. And having discovered this the EU ignore it completely and also mandate DRL set ups for motorbikes.

The safest day time set up for a 2 wheeler is 3 low output lights arranged in a triangle, such as BMW fit to some models. In the event that your visual signature is obscured the observer can still calculate speed by the rate at which the triangle 'grows' as it approaches. Simply slapping a regular bright bike light in the middle of your bars serves only to potentially mitigate one risk at the expense of exposing you to a different one.

Next time you're riding towards a motorbike running lights during the day you'll see this phenomenon for yourself if you're paying attention.

Every action has a consequence, even things supposedly done in the name of safety. Slapping up daytime lights and blithely thinking it makes you safer actually makes you more likely to get yourself into trouble - think about the downsides as well.
my rear lights on my commuter , one one the seatpost and a light on each pannier bag form a triangle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
At night it makes no sense, except if your battery is on its last legs and you are eking out the last bit of light to get you home. I have done this, but it's pretty bizarre, like cycling at a Pink Floyd concert in 1968 but without tbe acid.

In bright or dappled sunlight, it makes a lot of sense.

I get that. Something for me to consider when it starts getting light again in six months time. :smile:

Top Bottom