Commuting in the dark of night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm actually starting to enjoy riding in the dark and find drivers actually pass much wider than they do later in the day.
Same here.

Close passes have disappeared since it got dark.

Drivers can't gauge distance as easily in the dark so tend to err on the side of caution.

Or, as in my case, they think I'm a "bleedin tractor".

I get to play with the commuters tonight. not on a road, but a paved commuter bikeway. there are some robust riders who are so fast even tho they don't look it. meaning some have upright bars & large panniers & dressed is suits, but those guys can fly & often blow my doors off. charging my light's battery now

battery charging.JPG

Last edited:
On the X-Trail commuter it's a Supernova front and B&M rear powered by and SP dynamo hub augmented with Exposure Strada,Cat-Eye bar end rear lights and whatever extra rear light I have.

On the Kanzo it's Exposure Revo and Redeye again powered by a SP hub and a Hope R4+ front when needed and also with whatever extra rear lights.

New thing will run the Hope with a District rear for off road usage.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
First shout of "dip your bloody light" of this winter by me today. Lit street, straight, no trees, closed to cars both ends : no ides why that nobber thought a few thousand lumens in the faces of oncoming riders would help anything. I prefer the unlit ninjas to that!

mjr

Same here.

Close passes have disappeared since it got dark.

Drivers can't gauge distance as easily in the dark so tend to err on the side of caution.

Or, as in my case, they think I'm a "bleedin tractor".
You half-jest but I do wonder if the increased number of e-bikes with good LED lights that move pretty quickly, especially acceleration to 16mph, has increased driver caution in overtaking any bike with good LED lights. Or maybe it's how many more people cycled during lockdown and disliked the bad driving of remaining motorists. I think I've yet to suffer a close pass at night this winter, which feels unusual.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You half-jest but I do wonder if the increased number of e-bikes with good LED lights that move pretty quickly, especially acceleration to 16mph, has increased driver caution in overtaking any bike with good LED lights. Or maybe it's how many more people cycled during lockdown and disliked the bad driving of remaining motorists. I think I've yet to suffer a close pass at night this winter, which feels unusual.
My approach to overtaking a bike is to treat it the same as I would any other vehicle.

If there is nothing coming the other way, I move to the other side of the road and overtake.

If there is something coming, I wait behind the bike until the road is clear. I would say that the majority of drivers do the same (maybe 90%).

Close passes are where drivers ignore this rule and try and squeeze past you when there is oncoming traffic.

The way I deal with this is by moving out to the centre of the lane to prevent the overtake until the road ahead is clear of oncoming traffic. If someone does try to squeeze past me, I have room to move to the left.

It happened to me a few times during daylight but it hasn't happened since it got darker. My only answer to this is that it's harder to judge a close pass in the dark and the driver won't take the risk?

mjr

The way I deal with this is by moving out to the centre of the lane to prevent the overtake until the road ahead is clear of oncoming traffic. If someone does try to squeeze past me, I have room to move to the left.

It happened to me a few times during daylight but it hasn't happened since it got darker. My only answer to this is that it's harder to judge a close pass in the dark and the driver won't take the risk?
You can't prevent it unless you are willing to be hit to stop it, only discourage it, but I think we use the same tactic.

Past years, drivers have seemed more willing to risk it than this year so far. Is this widespread?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You can't prevent it unless you are willing to be hit to stop it, only discourage it, but I think we use the same tactic.
Past years, drivers have seemed more willing to risk it than this year so far. Is this widespread?
I ended up in hospital in 1993 after a close pass in London where a wing mirror hitting my handlebar sent my racer front wheel into the kerb and me over the handlebars. The driver didn't stop.

I have been a road hog ever since, only moving left if it is safe for a car behind to overtake me.

However, seeing as how many people were buying bikes this year and the number of cyclists I saw out on the road, maybe a lot of them are also drivers and have learned to appreciate the risks that cyclists take?

I get to play with the commuters tonight. not on a road, but a paved commuter bikeway. there are some robust riders who are so fast even tho they don't look it. meaning some have upright bars & large panniers & dressed is suits, but those guys can fly & often blow my doors off
turns out (I think) there weren't many commuters cuz everyone is telecommuting. the trail was empty except for casual riders. but it was dark so I might be wrong. but can't imagine why this person would run a flashing strobe instead of a steady light. doesn't make sense. it's not like we're gonna see them any better ...

View: https://youtu.be/MhsiZZEkWYI

Last edited:

RichardB

Slightly retro
Indeed too much light is a danger.

The same argument has been had on many motorcycle forums too. There is a contingent who ride with full beam on no matter what the time of day or conditions. "If they flash to complain, at least it shows they have seen me!" For some reason, far more US riders seem to take this attitude than Europeans. It seems very selfish to me. And, after all, if someone is driving towards you in a tonne and a half of metal, the last thing you want to do is blind them, in my opinion.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
The same argument has been had on many motorcycle forums too. There is a contingent who ride with full beam on no matter what the time of day or conditions. "If they flash to complain, at least it shows they have seen me!" For some reason, far more US riders seem to take this attitude than Europeans. It seems very selfish to me. And, after all, if someone is driving towards you in a tonne and a half of metal, the last thing you want to do is blind them, in my opinion.

When I drive home in my car on unlit roads, I am frequently blinded by oncoming traffic using either high beam or overly bright LED headlights.

For a few seconds, I am driving practically blind.

For this very reason, I aim my LED bike headlights down and left. I'm only interested in seeing the road surface I am about to run my tyres over.

What I fail to understand is the logic of a front flashing light? I've seen loads of cyclists in the last week with a front flasher but I don't get it?

Traffic which is in front of me or coming towards me is not something which bothers me. Because I can see them, I can either take preventative or reactive measures to keep myself safe. I don't rely on them being able to see me.

You need to be seen from behind though so I understand flashers on the back (but I don't use them myself).

But on the front, you need to be able to see the road and I don't see how a flashing headlight achieves that?

Top Bottom