Commuting in the dark of night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
More than one party can have responsibilities, and more than one can be to blame in an accident.

If we remembered that, these threads would be a lot shorter!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Is that opinion rational?
As do I, so I'm not in a "cycling versus driving war" either. I'm not even in a war against selfish cyclists who attempt to distract drivers with their clothes. I just think they're a bad thing on many levels and should not be advocated.
Meanwhile, I feel drivers should take responsibility for driving to the conditions,unlike some on here who imply driving blind with misty windows should be expected.
Based on my own driving experience, I can see someone on a bike in bright clothing a hell of a lot earlier than someone in dark clothing.

Their bright clothing doesn't "distract me". Why would it?

And yes, I do expect some drivers to drive with misty windows, break speed limits, overtake too close or glance down at their mobiles.

It doesn't mean I condone such driving, quite the contrary.

If you want to ride around in night camouflage to prove a point, go knock yourself out mate.

I'm sticking with the Hi Viz.

weareHKR

Based on my own driving experience, I can see someone on a bike in bright clothing a hell of a lot earlier than someone in dark clothing.
And yes, I do expect some drivers to drive with misty windows, break speed limits, overtake too close or glance down at their mobiles.
if you want to ride around in night camouflage to prove a point, go knock yourself out mate.
+ 1 :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
More than one party can have responsibilities, and more than one can be to blame in an accident.

If we remembered that, these threads would be a lot shorter!
I don't think anyone has forgotten that. By posting at this point, are you implying that cyclists share the blame for their own injuries if they refuse to wear special clothes?

Is that still true if the someone in dark clothing has full legally-sufficient lights on?

Does you seeing someone later translate into injuries anyway?

What do normal drivers do? What do average drivers do?

To make you look at them "a hell of a lot earlier" than someone in ordinary clothes? It's pretty much the definition of distracting attention.

[...] If you want to ride around in night camouflage to prove a point, go knock yourself out mate.
I'm not the one donning urban dazzle camouflage in some mistaken idea that it helps. I'm just riding in ordinary clothes, but have good lights, "doing everything reasonably practical to avoid the worst case" with different ideas to you of what is reasonable, practical and what actually works to avoid shoot. Pernicious evidence-free shoot like "a yellow one with Hi Viz piping will mitigate risk" must be rejected every time it pops up: clothes are essentially insignificant if you obey the lighting laws.

I really don't think looking like a near-static roadworker is helpful for anyone, but we all make our own choices. It's the evangelising of slathering oneself in snake oil that I dislike.

classic33

Leg End Member

If you want to ride around in night camouflage to prove a point, go knock yourself out mate.

And under the wrong lighting, Saturn Yellow(The most common colour used) all but disappears. You're then left relying on the reflective material used.

You replace yours every 10 washes* I'll assume.

*3M recommendation.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just wondering what's your thoughts are on other wearers of Hi-Visibility apparel are?
Started naming them but the list is endless tbh, all in the name of Safety! ;)
Like the Blue Peter presenter on top of Battersea chimney one year in normal clothing, but in high viz and a hard hat as a news reader a few years later.

Nothing else changed, inc the distance from the ground

I like riding at night, just gotta watch out for the potholes! Since the covid hit last spring, I've been enjoying a certain off-road area near my home. I've been driving there w/ a bike rack, etc. But it's not "technically" open after sunset. It's super fun at night, super spooky too. Anyway, now that the driving/parking thing has expired I need to ride there. So it's back on the roads at night. I'm 1/2 looking forward to it & 1/2 apprehensive

on my road bike I have a headlight mounted on an accessory to help eliminate shadows from my cables. I have a rear facing light on my trunk rack. & also, I mount one on my left drop bar. it helps keep the passing cars from cutting back in front of me too soon. it actually does help get me a smidge more courtesy room. this pic is from a paved bike trail but it's what I had handy on my work computer

cam and light bar mount smaller.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I left work last night just after five and about 15 minutes into my ride home, I'm going up this very long hill on a single track road. It was dark enough to need my two LED lights which I have set either side of the handlebar stem.

Up ahead about 200 yards, I see a 4WD coming towards me which stops and then reverses into a farm gateway. The road is wide enough for a car and bike to pass by each other at a squeeze so I'm surprised that this person has stopped to give way.

Not wanting to make them wait too long, I hit the pedals as hard as I could to get my speed up.

As I was about to pass the 4wd, I waved in appreciation and the woman driver wound down her window.

With a slightly annoyed look on her face and in her best Devonshire accent, she said "I thought you was a bleedin tractor!".

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I left work last night just after five and about 15 minutes into my ride home, I'm going up this very long hill on a single track road. It was dark enough to need my two LED lights which I have set either end side of the handlebar stem.

Up ahead about 200 yards, I see a 4WD coming towards me which stops and then reverses into a farm gateway. The road is wide enough for a car and bike to pass by each other at a squeeze so I'm surprised that this person has stopped to give way.

Not wanting to make them wait too long, I hit the pedals as hard as I could to get my speed up.

As I was about to pass the 4wd, I waved in appreciation and the woman driver wound down her window.

With a slightly annoyed look on her face and in her best Devonshire accent, she said "I thought you was a bleedin tractor!".
I believe my kids would say "Seems Legit" :tongue:

Top Bottom