Commuting in the dark of night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh one thing I found useful at night.

Either take a head torch with you or put a torch on your helmet.

If you have a mechanical you can't easily hold a torch and do the bits you need to.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Doubling up on the dynamo lights will just make them half as bright.
That's what I'm not sure about when it comes to LED bike lights.

I know it doesn't work with incandescent bulbs but with my LED dynamo front light, it's at full brightness (front and rear) from just pushing the bike along the path. So when I am actually riding the bike, there must be some spare capacity?

si_c

Guru
That's what I'm not sure about when it comes to LED bike lights.

I know it doesn't work with incandescent bulbs but with my LED dynamo front light, it's at full brightness (front and rear) from just pushing the bike along the path. So when I am actually riding the bike, there must be some spare capacity?

Dynamos are designed to output 6v at a 0.5A and lights follow the same specifications. Adding an additional light reduces the current available across both circuits by half so for the lamps so they will run at half brightness regardless of how much of fast you turn the wheels as the dynamo increases the voltage available not the current.

This is my understanding of how the circuits work.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Dynamos are designed to output 6v at a 0.5A and lights follow the same specifications. Adding an additional light reduces the current available across both circuits by half so for the lamps so they will run at half brightness regardless of how much of fast you turn the wheels as the dynamo increases the voltage available not the current.
This is my understanding of how the circuits work.

Another option I have is to go for a higher output front light then. The current one is 30 lux but I see that there are 70 lux available.

With experience you will embrace the dark. The lights available now are so bright and eye catching that no one can claim I did not see you.
I even ride with rear lights in the summer. I don't have flashing front lights for daytime use.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
With experience you will embrace the dark. The lights available now are so bright and eye catching that no one can claim I did not see you.
I even ride with rear lights in the summer. I don't have flashing front lights for daytime use.
I'm well impressed with the rear dynamo light. I have a rack on the bike so I bought a Nean rack mount light which is 150mm wide. It chucks back a really clear red light on a par with what you'd get from a motorbike rear set up.

I also have two re-chargeable LEDS on the back as well. I have them set to solid.

I'm on the fence about flashing rear lights. On the one hand, they make you very visible but on the other, they can be confusing for drivers (is it a breakdown lorry half a mile away or is it a bike ten yards in front of you?).

But I agree, that with a combination of good lights and Hi Viz clothing, nobody could ever claim that they didn't see you.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Or be cycling out of the darkness, into the sunrise.
My first month of commuting I was leaving just as it was getting light and my ride is towards the east. Some stretches I was being completely blinded by the rising sun. I will have the reverse in about a month when I will be cycling home into the setting sun. After that it will be darkness both ways until March.

I'm on the fence about flashing rear lights. On the one hand, they make you very visible but on the other, they can be confusing for drivers (is it a breakdown lorry half a mile away or is it a bike ten yards in front of you?).
Once it is too dark to see the bike itself, flashing is a disaster; partly for the reason you say.
And they totally fail my 4th Golden Rule:
"What if everyone used them?"

(Can you imagine if drivers started using flashing lights?!? )

I'm well impressed with the rear dynamo light. I have a rack on the bike so I bought a Nean rack mount light which is 150mm wide. It chucks back a really clear red light on a par with what you'd get from a motorbike rear set up.

I also have two re-chargeable LEDS on the back as well. I have them set to solid.

But I agree, that with a combination of good lights and Hi Viz clothing, nobody could ever claim that they didn't see you.

Nothing says cyclist more than something reflective on the pedals or feet or lower legs. That movement is very distinctive.

Top Bottom