Commuting in the dark of night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Before a job change, I commuted 13 miles each way, pitch dark country lanes. I agree, the prospect was a bit daunting and I thought about it a lot before the first day. As with most things, once you're doing it, it is far less scary. In fact, I started enjoying it almost immediately and now I don't do it any more I miss it. There's something very wonderful about riding silently along a dark country lane with just the occasional moo of an unseen cow to keep you company. I had a tiny Moon Meteor front light which was easily good enough for 20 mph in the dark, and I just kept the speed sensible on the downhills. As others have said, hi-viz is brilliant (both senses) after dark, especially if you have Scotchlite reflective strips. Pretty sure you could see my Altura jacket from Mars. Might go out for an hour after dark tonight, now I think about it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For rear lights when I use multiple then I have one flashing and one steady. Flashing as an alert and steady for others to judge distance. When using just one rear it is set to flashing during daylight and solid in the dark.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Maybe something to do with the point loading on the tyres?

Indeed. I had a Citroen 2CV which was brilliant in snow for this very reason. Large diameter, narrow tyres bite down into the snow in a way that wide tyres can't. It's why the Land Rover drivers who are serious about off-roiad performance all have the old-fashioned narrow tyres. The wide, butch, gnarly ones that stick out beyond the arches are strictly for Sainsbury's car park.

classic33

Leg End Member
I always use a flashing rear red light but in the darkest of winter I add a blue one too, very eye catching.

You still get people who claim it was dark and they did not see you.
I've used a strobe light mounted in the mesh pocket of the rucksack.
Got one driver wondering what it was he was seeing so he took a diversion to catch up and see.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I always use a flashing rear red light but in the darkest of winter I add a blue one too, very eye catching.

Just don't present yourself for an MoT like that. You'd fail :becool:

Now you mention it, last year I bought a set of little flashing lights off ebay to attach to the dog's collar when I walk him in the dark. There's a blue and red, and a yellow and a green too - might try those hanging off my saddlebag.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I've used a strobe light mounted in the mesh pocket of the rucksack.
Got one driver wondering what it was he was seeing so he took a diversion to catch up and see.
I also drive and in the pitch dark and a flashing light on a bike ahead can cause confusion because it's hard to tell what it is you are seeing. Is it just in front of you and small or is it half a mile away and large?

What it does do though, is make you think and maybe proceed with a bit more caution so I suppose it's done its job.

One thing I do have which I wouldn't be without, is a bar end mirror on the right hand end of my handlebars. Never used a mirror on a bike before but I bought one earlier in the year and now I consider it an essential bit of kit. It's a bit of a pain keeping it aligned as it's in an easy to knock position especially when taking the bike though the door, but it saves me a lot of neck craning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
First commute in the dark this morning since winter and it’s the best time. Love the dark, helps when it’s dry :-) though.
I encountered a few cars (three) on the way along the dark lanes and it's miles better in the dark. I could see them coming a good half a minute or so before they reached me from the other side of blind bends and I was able to get into farm gates or passing places in good time. They could also see me.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I've just finished installing my upgraded bottle dynamo. I fitted an Axa Trio last week (cost £13.50) and although it works really well, it made a fair bit of a high pitched whining noise which sort of ruined the early morning peace and quiet of the country lanes.

The replacement is an Axa HR which cost £25.50 and offers up lower resistance for the same power output and is about 50% quieter than the cheaper version. It also has a replaceable rubber roller instead of a metal or nylon one so less wear on the tyre wall. Very good bit of kit and it is as smooth as the advertising blurb claimed.

I'll either keep the cheaper one as a spare or fit it to my daughters bike to use where she is studying at Uni.

I hate it as well. I leave in the morning at 7:50 and set off home at 17:30 so by darkest winter it is dark both ways.

The worst bit I find is the next month or so, the gradual realisation that you are not going to see the sun again in the evenings for 4-5 months. And then the changing clocks when it is just like someone has turned a light switch off in the evenings.

I am quite anxious during the first few weeks of dark comminuting. Just take it slow, be hyper cautious when filtering/going past side roads and junctions/going past parked cars/going down potholed streets. As for weather, thankfully ice isn't too much of a problem in the UK's mild winter but do check the forecasts to know when it has been sub zero overnight, sometimes frozen puddles aren't that obvious on the road. For snow just write the commute off and take public transport (unless you live in Scotland or somewhere where it is more frequent).

Don't get too attached to yellow hi-vis, in reality it is the reflective strips which are more visible in car headlights.

For lights I find having a pair of front lights and pair of rear lights gives me peace of mind. One on constant and the other on flashing/pulse. Rechargeable are better, just make it a habit to charge them during the day at work. And Chuck a cheapo light in your bag as a backup.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It’s the best time ! Love the dark commutes. Once you hit December that’s as dark as it gets and it’s starts getting lighter again! Much too look forward to . Mind you I’m an early starter, leaving about 6am ish .

only thing I don’t like is the ice !!! That’s a pain and discussed plenty times elsewhere.

al78

Guru
I used to commute 10 miles mostly on tree lined country lanes and it was dark coming home for half the year. A decent set of lights will help you avoid road defects and debris. The worst element I found was the glare from oncoming t**ts that come round corners on full beam. The way to mitigate dazzling is to look down and to the kerb just before the car comes round the corner, similarly when approaching road summits and something is coming up the hill from the opposite direction.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I used to w...wo...work (I can hardly bring myself to say the word) the bulk of my commute was unlit country roads. Nothing a good set of lights doesnt handle with aplomb.

Top Bottom