Commuting In The Snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
With snow forecast for many parts of the country in the next week and you do not have snow tyres on your bike

Has anybody got any tips and advice on commuting to work with snow on the road . Or is it best to leave the bike at home and use public transport ?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I get narked at the media's use of cyclists in 'bad weather' reporting.

Almost every recent 'roads flooded' report had a cyclist 'struggling' through - no mention of waterlogged cars.

Then todays Hull Mail had this beauty: http://www.thisishullandeastriding....rkshire-mild/story-17817284-detail/story.html

At what point is that cyclist 'struggling'?

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.

Almost every recent 'roads flooded' report had a cyclist 'struggling' through - no mention of waterlogged cars.

Then todays Hull Mail had this beauty: http://www.thisishullandeastriding....rkshire-mild/story-17817284-detail/story.html

Media has its ways. Cos instead of asking the cyclist 'are you struggling in the snow. They look at it and just assume.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Has anybody got any tips and advice on commuting to work with snow on the road .

Don't take corners too sharply, let the front wheel go where it wants to (within reason - don't fight the bike), read the road far ahead of you (it'll take longer to stop), and prepare to abandon (i.e., take your locks) if if gets too much. Providing the roads have been serviced, you will probably not need snow tyres (though I would recommend them if there's a lot of snow/travelling on un-salted roads).

al78

Guru

They are probably taking it much more slowly and carefully than normal to avoid ending up sprawled across the tarmac.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In snow/bad weather I switch to the MTB, which has knobblies on for the winter.

Otherwise, no change in behaviour.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not so much a tip, but wen it snows I commute off road most of the way to avoid the compacted snow and ice on the road.

This ^

I have studded tyres anyway, but the studs are really for ice. Any MTB will be fine in most snow, unless there is ice under or the road is badly rutted - then it's difficult generally. In Jan 10, the first day of the freeze, I rode the MTB as it was to work with normal trail tyres - worked absolutely fine through 6 inches of snow. Avoided the roads though as there were big ruts, and these just grab the front wheel.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good advice - not read the thread so may be repeating others, but another advantage of this is that you avoid vehicles that start fishtailing as you're going by them.

Exactly. I will admit to using the pavement for a small stretch when the roads are very bad - there is usually no-one on them and I take it easy, but trying to ride on a badly rutted road is hard, especially with cars sliding.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
...but trying to ride on a badly rutted road is hard, especially with cars sliding.

Agreed, it's often others you have to watch out for.

Before I moved to Switzerland, we used to visit relatives in Bern every winter (which meant putting winter tyres on our car for 4 months). So, when it snowed in the UK I was sorted, no slipping and sliding for me. That didn't stop some fool going into the back of me though...

I got some continental spiked claw 240 tyres. I put these on and last year they were superb. They were only on 3 days so still look new in the garage. The only problem I have is that I only have one set of wheels for the MTB, so have to change as required which can be a faff.

My tip for riding in snow is don't look at the front wheel, I spent too much time looking at it and was too nervous, just keep looking ahead, as the front wheel will drift, and if its heavy snow, cycle in a lower gear so you get a more easier time, cause if you come to a tough bit of snow in a high gear you won't be able to pedal hard enough to get thru and you fall off, as I did ! so, slow, steady, low gear and enjoy

If you just have snow, not proper ice, then spikes are a waste of money and time.
No slicks.
Pedal lightly and spin quickly rather than gear mashing.
Use front breaks at your own peril.
Do not lean the bike into corners.
And most importantly if you are off road and see a really big snow drift , a foot or more, aim for it and have fun.

Top Bottom