Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Now that the clocks have gone back and my homeward commute has been plunged into darkness, I have taken a couple of photos of my Magicshine lighting set-up http://www.dealextre...-included-42077 about £36 and http://www.dealextre...-included-29489 about £49, with the bike parked up at the roadside with a car passing for comparison, both are on steady setting and the front is on the lowest power and well dipped, i.e. the beam centre is aimed about 2m in front of the bike (if I remember I will try to do an unlit road pic for the front light tomorrow):

Nice pics !
Have you used them on completely dark unlit roads yet? I think thats where they really come into their own as i cycle down county lanes every day in total darkness ( 3 am on a Saturday morning )with mine and it has been the only light i have tried that gives me the confidence to ride at full speed.

To all the people who are still waiting for lights i hope you get them and like them as much as I and other CC members who have recommended these lights do, i feel slightly guilty that you are having to wait so long but i think DX must have swamped with orders .

niggle

Nice pics !
Have you used them on completely dark unlit roads yet? I think thats where they really come into their own as i cycle down county lanes every day in total darkness ( 3 am on a Saturday morning )with mine and it has been the only light i have tried that gives me the confidence to ride at full speed.

Yes actually about 4.5 miles of my 6 mile commute is on unlit roads, and I have had these lights for over a year now so have done plenty of testing and find I can ride safely at up to about 25mph on unlit country roads riddled with potholes. Sorry no pic from an unlit road, forgot to stop and take one.

Alexvs

Well I found out where my light went, the bloody royal mail put it on the wrong van so it got delivered to the wrong side of the estate and someone else signed for it at another company. Both the receptionist at work and I chased it up and they said they won't know where it had been delivered for 24 hours but as it's a weekend till Monday. It's shocking that it has the correct address on the label but they still manage to put it on the wrong van. Not only that they said it was actually handled by 4 different delivery drivers and not one of them realised they were taking it to the wrong address. I'm hoping the person who signed for it realised when sorting out the post it had the wrong address on so gave it back to the evening collection driver. Not happy but will hopefully be able to get hold of it on Monday to use on Tuesday's commute.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
honestly thinking about cancelling my order and just keeping what I have for now. Unconvinced that this crew will ever deliver!

Alexvs

@MrGrumpy: I cancelled my order and found an alternative from UK suppliers as really needed a light and couldn't be bothered waiting for dx anymore.

I managed to locate my Moon XP500 and picked it up from where it was today. Have to say even in its lowest setting is world's better than what I had. Will look forward to using it on the bike tomorrow. I took comparison photos in the house but will take some on the bike and put them up tomorrow.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It's a copy of the MJ-816 with newer LEDS. Probably fine for the cash and looks to have the same connector.

Hmmm, am sorely tempted, not likely to blow up in my face or burn the house down on charge then? Yes I'll follow the charge while in attendance and put it in a biscuit tin routine.

Still it's me, with my level of prevarication this could be my 'impulse' purchase for next Winter :blush:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
Well, my Smart Lunar 15 LUX Bike Light is absolutely rubbish on unlit roads - in fact I'd even go so far as to say they probably wouldn't be adequate for riding on street-lit roads :sad:

I need a new, bright front and rear light pronto!

I was looking at Fluxient 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 or Fluxient 1000 Lumen 3x Cree XPE Q5

What are people's views on these (i.e. which one should I go for?)

Top Bottom