Commuting with belongings (e.g laptop) insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twominds

Hey CycleChat legends,

As the title suggests, I want to start commuting in London on a £200 bike with £2300 laptop in my bag (sturdy bag with padded laptop case).. I want to insure my ride, contents & myself.

Finding cyclist commuting insurance that covers the bike, personal injury and third parties seems to be straight forward enough.. but does any one know a way I can also insure my belongings taken with me on the commute?

Thanks heaps

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hey CycleChat legends,

As the title suggests, I want to start commuting in London on a £200 bike with £2300 laptop in my bag (sturdy bag with padded laptop case).. I want to insure my ride, contents & myself.

Finding cyclist commuting insurance that covers the bike, personal injury and third parties seems to be straight forward enough.. but does any one know a way I can also insure my belongings taken with me on the commute?

Thanks heaps
Household insurance - personal possessions all risks - or specific gadget or laptop insurance.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Household insurance - personal possessions all risks - or specific gadget or laptop insurance.
Or business insurance that covers carrying equipment to/from workplaces should cover it. But strap the valuables to the bike and see if you can attach it to the handlebars or your back in cities - don't want some muppet just to lift the pannier off when you're stopped at lights.

Edit: I just remembered this: I often loop the shoulder-straps around the seatpost, then at least it becomes obvious if someone tries to pick something off my rear rack and the straps are tough enough that cutting them would take long enough for me to, uh, "object"

That's a very expensive laptop to be transporting on a bike.

Indeed. I might offer an alternative and light hearted viewpoint on insurance that a younger version of myself might have heeded and wasted significantly less money in the process. I don't mean to speak out of turn, but if you can't afford to cover the loss of your laptop or bike out of pocket in the event of a crash, you're using too much laptop and or bike! Insurance for anything other than a catastrophic loss is clever trick designed to skim wealth from plebeians to the rentier classes. Do you buy the extra warranty from argos for their goods? I'd like to hope not*. If we take the emotion out of it, insurance is purely about managing risk, it only makes sense to buy insurance if you perceive the chance of loss is high and the fees are low. If this is the case, and the loss isn't catastrophic, the alternative to an add-on insurance is to manage your risk by riding safely at all times and being visible in all conditions and avoiding riding in a careless manner that will see you smash up your possessions.

Commercial insurance really only makes financial sense when covering yourself from catastrophic losses, i.e. being sued for crashing into a porsche that carries premium repair costs (we're talking tens of thousands here), or for those things you REALLY cannot afford to replace, like your house that just burnt down... anything else, you need to think really hard about if it's worthwhile. We may well get some anecdotal evidence crop up, some guy is bound to chime in and explain he dropped his expensive laptop/phone/*insert gadget* (that he couldn't afford to buy without monthly payments) in a toilet and thus he was quids in when his insurance company paid up, but he did a bad job of managing his risk and paid for the privilege... Not only did he lose his voluntary excess, he didn't get new for old, he got current valuation of the make and model, lets not forget he had to fork out the initial premium too, all things being told, he'd be lucky if he got 60% of the value of what it would cost to buy an equivalent new laptop, and thus has to cover the difference anyway. If we use your example of the £2400 laptop, we our savvy insured lost £960. This risk could have been managed by buying a fancy pants £100 waterproof case, a fraction of the cost of managing the risk via insurance.

If you really must carry a £2400 laptop, I'd bung it in a shock proof style briefcase and carry it in panniers. Anything short of a car crashing into your panniers will keep said laptop safe, and if it is a car thats dunnit' then, their insurance is going to have to cover it!

*If your answer was yes, please disregard everything above, oh and I have some extra special offers on laptop on insurance to sell you. :tongue::rolleyes:

dim

wiggle insurance
https://cycleinsurance.wiggle.co.uk/our-cycle-insurance

get a quote but tell them that you want to insure your laptop for damage in case of an accident

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Seriously though, if cycling is too dangerous to risk a £2k laptop on, then it's far far too dangerous to risk a person doing

Reactions: mjr
Exactly. May as well put that bike back in the garage and get the bus for peace of mind, but as it's collecting dust, I'll take the bike of your hands and give it a good home ;)

U

User33236

Yes, this is sensible. A mac book pro will last about 3 years before apple discountinue the OS and force an upgrade on you. A good bike will give decades of service, so this has my seal of approval ;)
My older MacBook Pro is the mid 2010 model and has just been upgraded to the latest OS, which it runs great. Given that OS X upgrades are free it is sensible.

Try running Windows 10, or even 8, on a laptop that old and see how well it runs or if you are able to get drivers for the hardware.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On the weekend I saw a chap cycling with his 'cello on his back. He'd protected it in its hard plastic case. 'twas in Oxford where such things are probably normal

I was half kidding, I have a mac air, 2014 model, bought @ 1 year old on ebay, cost me no more than £400 at the time and I have no quibbles about running around with it in my (unpadded) messenger. Something I could easily afford to replace in the (extremely unlikely) event of a crash. I don't waste money on BNIB stuff, so not particularly bothered if I have an off. Though I do still avoid those because they are painful.

Top Bottom