Compact and Triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
May sound like a silly question but I have been looking at a new bike and it comes as a triple or a compact and just wanted to know what the difference is between the 2 and what the pros and cons are?

Many thanks

Tynan

Veteran
triple should give you more range, typically for hills, perhaps smaller steps between gears if you like double shifting

double is fine unless you have major hills, tad less weight, complexity at front shifter and better chain lines

double has connotations of you being a rock hard rider that doesn't need a triple

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It is to do with the number of chain rings at the pedal end. Triple of course means 3 whereas compact means 2 however to confuse the issue you can also get a double which also has 2 but has a different range of gears.

If you live in a very hilly area or planning on climbing any hills then you will find it easier with a triple.

All explained above.

From an experience perspective. I started with a triple on my first road bike and was very nervous about moving to a compact on my new bike. I have to say overall it has actually made me a stronger rider moving to a compact as I now have no choice to go to the granny ring when I am on a hill.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
All explained above.

From an experience perspective. I started with a triple on my first road bike and was very nervous about moving to a compact on my new bike. I have to say overall it has actually made me a stronger rider moving to a compact as I now have no choice to go to the granny ring when I am on a hill.

Yeah but you're uyoung and fit, Clive!!
Old gits like me would never get up the Beacon without a triple!

GrasB

Veteran
With the same cassette the difference between a 30/39/52 triple & a 34/50 compact is..... 1-1.5 gears at the bottom end & 1/2 a gear at the top end! There is more double shifting (where you shift on both the chainring & cassette at the same time) to be done with a compact but really the difference is minimal & even with a triple most riders need to correct the gear after a chainring swap.

When you actually look at the gearing most of the time there's virtually no difference in gear spacing between a compact & a triple due to gear duplication. Chain line arguments are imo academic at best because when riders are on the road they don't actually give two hoots about what the chain line is & will run to the extremes regardless

If you have sporty aspirations I'll say at climbing camp those on compacts mostly left the guys on triples behind as a triple usually means more chainring swapping which slows you down a lot. But if you don't mind losing a little momentum here & there then a triple may be a better option over a compact because of it's slightly lower bottom gear.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
With a compact, there isn't much scope for lower gears if you should decide you need them. On a triple you can fit chainrings down to 24T (though this would probably also require dropping the large ring down a bit).

Also, some people don't like the large jump in gear you get when changing chainring on a compact.

OP
OP
ELL

ELL

Über Member
Thanks for the replies I thought this was the case but wasn't 100%. I had a compact on my Scott speedster s10 and seemed to cope with that fine but binned that a couple of weeks ago so been looking at new ones and fancy the Scott CR1 Team and I think it comes with a triple or compact

GrasB

Veteran
chain lines don't matter?

I'm no expert but higher wear and less efficency?

Yes a straighter chain line does result in less wear & more efficiency unfortunately it's not about theoretically giving better chain lines for any given ratio. If you actually look at which gears people ride on you find that the full range of gears available until the chain starts to rub on the front mech or larger chainring is used. As the amount of chain bend allowed by those limits is the same for all 3 setups the better chain line argument doesn't actually work.

GrasB

Veteran
With a compact, there isn't much scope for lower gears if you should decide you need them. On a triple you can fit chainrings down to 24T (though this would probably also require dropping the large ring down a bit).
Problem is that most front mech are struggling to cover more than a 22t chainring difference, so assuming you have a road chainset you're looking at 24-38-46 (38t is the smallest tooth count you can get on a the 130bdc crank) which gives you a bigger jump between the low & middle chainrings than the difference between a compacts chainrings. You then end up changing your cranks to get a more progressive chainring setup.

jimboalee

My Dawes Giro 500 has three chainrings.

When I ride to work, I use the 42 and maybe the 52 if the wind is kind. I could fit a std 52/42 chainset.

When I Audax, I use the 42 and maybe the 30 when the hills get steep. I could fit a 42/30 TA Cyclotourist.

Having the triple saves me the trouble of changing the chainset on Friday afternoon and Sunday evening.

manalog

Über Member
triple should give you more range, typically for hills, perhaps smaller steps between gears if you like double shifting

double is fine unless you have major hills, tad less weight, complexity at front shifter and better chain lines

double has connotations of you being a rock hard rider that doesn't need a triple

Forgive me for asking when do you Double Shift and how useful it is. I have been riding a Triple and I can't work it out :unsure: Sheldon's definition is just shifting Front and Rear mechs simultenously.

Top Bottom