Compact dual crankset vs. triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tedydim

I did some online research recently, as I was buying a new bike (ended up getting a 2011 Felt z85), and read a bit about the different cranksets. Seems that most road bikes pass the very entry/recreational level come with dual cranset. However I still found out somebenefits of having a tripple... so it seemed that the general disposition towards dual is just historically (pride :smile: ) based... Until now I have always ridden a triple. I ended up getting the compact dual because it was a great bike for the money and it fit pretty well. However I am still a bit concered on how this dual will fare to a triple on steep hills... I would love to hear your opinoins on this.

zacklaws

Guru
let me know what you think..

I would love to hear your opinoins on this.

I think everyone's opinions will be, there's all ready a thread started on this subject about four days ago, and cannot be bothered to post the same stuff again so soon.

Use search and you'll find lots on the same subject.

OP
OP
tedydim

tedydim

Before I posted this topic I did search and couldn't find it -- that is why I posted the topic. I have to say it is a bit rude to respond this way, but I guess thanks for letting me know.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
For what it is worth I prefer having a triple as it gives me a much better range of gears, but then I live in a hilly area and tend to carry luggage, I am not a boy races or wanta be race... ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I can't be bothered looking at the other thread so will reply here :biggrin:

Triple - lot of people will tend to ride in the middle ring most of the time with the inner ring for long hills, some of us even wonder what the big ring is for

Doubles - too tough for me, never seem to go low enough

Compacts - these can result in a lot of front shifts for regular riding

A lot of writeups on the web will hint at road machines sold to the general populace as being over geared for the riders current or future abilities. 46/30 would be a lot more sense than 50/34 for the recreational rider, but this might involve people admitting they're not as strong/fit as they could be.

Top Bottom