Compact Set v Triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

In4Pain

Hi Folks,

Bit of advice/tutition needed here! I am fairly new to cycling and have taken on the challenge of a 112 mile cycle in July. I have been training for it for the last few months and am now up to 60-70 miles on Sundays on my faithfull Trek 7.2. On my last post I detailed how my LBS told me that the front shocks on my bike coupled with the riding position were not conducive to doing 112 AND avoiding a lenghty stay in the recuperation ward of the local hospital:smile:..... Anyhow... what they have suggested for me is a Spech Tric Cross bike.

My quandry is as follows: they are offering me the Sport version (with a triple set) for £700 or the Comp Double lighter but with a compact set) for an extra £200.

Money aside, am I better with a slightly heavier bike with a triple set or the lighter model with a compact set? Or is there any difference??

Thanks in advance..

benguin

Hi there!

I have myself decided to get a Tricross Comp (but still waiting for work to sign up to Cyclescheme, which may take a while)... They're great, versatile, machines and I can't wait to be on mine! I tried one extensively and loved it. It'll be a huge improvement over the 7.2 (which is, in itself, a very decent bike. My wife has a 7.3 and adores it...)

As far as I see things, if you're reasonably fit and don't intend on doing extended periods of touring, the compact should serve you fine and see you up most things without too much of a problem. In any case, the differences between the two models are more than just a Triple/Compact issue. You get a better frame, better all-around components, etc. And when you take into account the offer made by your LBS, I'd say: go for it. Speaking of which, can I be cheeky and ask what shop is offering you a Comp at such a great price? Is it a 2008 model, or earlier?

Best,

ben

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It depends on the gradient of the hills and how young and fit you are. I personally would need the lower gears of a triple for steep hills but I suspect 20 years ago I'd go for the compact double. Can you try someones out before you buy on a steep incline?

OP
OP
I

In4Pain

benguin said:
Hi there!

I have myself decided to get a Tricross Comp (but still waiting for work to sign up to Cyclescheme, which may take a while)... They're great, versatile, machines and I can't wait to be on mine! I tried one extensively and loved it. It'll be a huge improvement over the 7.2 (which is, in itself, a very decent bike. My wife has a 7.3 and adores it...)

As far as I see things, if you're reasonably fit and don't intend on doing extended periods of touring, the compact should serve you fine and see you up most things without too much of a problem. In any case, the differences between the two models are more than just a Triple/Compact issue. You get a better frame, better all-around components, etc. And when you take into account the offer made by your LBS, I'd say: go for it. Speaking of which, can I be cheeky and ask what shop is offering you a Comp at such a great price? Is it a 2008 model, or earlier?

Best,

ben

Hi Ben,
I'm based in Ireland. I am using £ equivalent of € amounts. It is the 2008 model and basicially the shop has 3 of the Comps in Stock and none of the Sports (in my size)... he will order the Sport in but it will be full price while he has knocked a chunk of the Comp to incentivise me to buy it.

OP
OP
I

In4Pain

Good advice Rich, have rang the shop and assuming no rain on Saturday I will take it for a test.

RedBike

Why the Spec Tri Cross? It seems like an odd bike to pick for a 112 mile road ride.

Although it will feel significantly better than the Trek it will still be harder work than a pure road bike, even if you change the tyres!

benguin

Still, the Tricross offers some great versatility where a pure road bike doesn't... It really depends on how many bikes you have/can afford. Plus many people have used, and use, their Tricross to commute (and where commute involves both road and rougher tracks, the Tricross offers an interesting alternative to the hybrid), tour, etc.
Horses for courses, I guess...

Top Bottom