Compensation claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was delighted with the settlement I got when driven through from behind when the car coming the other way dazzled us both with full beams.
The police accepted the driver's version of events and that of a witness (the passenger in the car that hit me :rolleyes:), while my own police statement was given when I was so concussed I couldn't remember my own name, so to get anything at all was great.

Sadly the migraines that started a few months later turned out to be rather more insidious than initially thought (after I'd already settled). Life-altering condition + not life-altering sum of money... I'm not bitter :whistle:
Oh well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not for me to comment on your particular situation, but I have seen people close to me get eaten up by anger and resentment for some time now and no sign of letting go. I would imagine that whilst it's probably the hardest thing some people have to do, it's the thing that would bring the greatest health benefit.

Exactly - I've cut a lot of negative stuff out of my life.

classic33

Leg End Member
Asked what I wanted out of it, shortly afterwards, my answer was "his head on a plate, paper one if needs be".

Is it unreasonable to expect that your vehicle be repaired or if written off, replaced? Insurance companies seem to think so, when your vehicle is a bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Asked what I wanted out of it, shortly afterwards, my answer was "his head on a plate, paper one if needs be".

Is it unreasonable to expect that your vehicle be repaired or if written off, replaced? Insurance companies seem to think so, when your vehicle is a bike.
It isn't any different with car insurance. I've claimed loss of earnings while my driving school car was off the road for a few days, after submitting my accountants statement with my income I got the response, "But the accident happened in August, you won't have been very busy because a lot of your pupils will have been on holiday". It took eighteen months arguing to settle a straightforward claim where the other party had admitted liability.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It isn't any different with car insurance. I've claimed loss of earnings while my driving school car was off the road for a few days, after submitting my accountants statement with my income I got the response, "But the accident happened in August, you won't have been very busy because a lot of your pupils will have been on holiday". It took eighteen months arguing to settle a straightforward claim where the other party had admitted liability.

Actually, you could have been very busy ! Never mind holidays, pupils are available.

It's shocking how you have to argue so much, then look over your shoulder - I've never hidden the fact that I was riding, but I'm doing about a quarter of what I used to do (in time), and a fair amount of this is sat in the garage. The stuff outside is a lot less. That said, I can still walk !

pjd57

Veteran
Cyclists are probably costing themselves a lot of money here.

If possible after an accident we mostly seem to want to get back on our bikes.

Even if it's to cycle to A&E for repairs.

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Well today I received a cheque for another £20k and my solicitor is waiting for the defendants to send them a cheque in part payment for treatment I had.
This was unexpected, my solicitor was holding some money back for costs, success fee etc, and I was not expecting any of it back. So I am happy with the total payment, and since the case has been settled, physically and mentally I am in a much better place.
Now, which Ti bike do I order?

Top Bottom